Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WIFI affects landline phone

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 lostinspace408

lostinspace408

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 AM

Posted 21 March 2011 - 11:55 AM

Hi all. I recently added a Linskys wireless router to my desktop puter in my den. I added it to enable using netflix in the living room on the big flat screen (also video gaming). I am not really into how WiFi works, so forgive me if this is a stupid question.
My desk is pretty crowded, so I have the Linsky unit near my PC monitor and my Uniden cordless (plugs into electric outlet, not phone jack) very near it and sometimes even sitting on top of the Linsky. Ever since I got the WiFI, when my phone rings it makes absurd computerized type noises with each ring. Hard to explain the sound, but I'm afraid that someone is pirating info from me. As far as I know, I protected the Linsky, but maybe not enough.
Basic question is: Can my info be pirated? And if so, would it be from my computer and telephone or both?
(ps: we have a neighbor around the corner who is rumored to be a hacker, and not in a good way)
Help pleas :blink: e!!

Edit: Moved topic from iPad and Tablet Devices to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2011 - 08:58 AM

What you are more than likely hearing is interference from the wireless signal coming from the router. Even though they may use slightly different frequencies they can still cause interference with one another. Try seperating the phone and the router by a few feet minimum and see if the interference stops. As a rule you should try to keep wireless devices as far apart as possible to reduce interference.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 lostinspace408

lostinspace408
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2011 - 09:17 AM

Thanks very much for the advice. Point well taken!!

#4 uByte

uByte

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2011 - 12:48 PM

If that doesn't work you can change the channel in the router configuration to a different one (post back what model you have and I can tell you the default password to get in (for example Linksys WRT54G)). I have found that if there are a lot of wireless networks that are around on the same frequency then you will have interruptions in the signal. Most of the newer cordless phones are on the same frequency of 2.4Ghz just like all 802.11 b/g/n networks. Like Baltboy suggested moving the base station away will help as well.

Good Luck,
uByte

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users