Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Power failures

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 lostinspace408

lostinspace408

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 PM

Posted 21 March 2011 - 11:28 AM

Hi all, this is my 1st post, so bear with me please!
I only hve a home PC. No cell phone, no net book, no ipad, etc. I do have WIFI on puter to enable games on TV in other room.
Question is, what type of instrument would be good for a prolonged (more than 24 hour) power failure? I mainly need a source for news and probably for communications from home. And consider the possibility that it may be an emergency situation where I might have to be "holed up" in my baement (radiation threat) for a few days. I am prepared as much as possible for getting thru a few days as far as provisions and preparedness, except for this one issue. I don't want to be cut off from the world.
Someone told me to get an ipad that could be charged by my car, but my garage is away from the house. I have limited funds, so I need a basic way to assure communication/news in the event of a crisis.
Love this site, and TY in advance for any & all help.
Ali

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,640 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2011 - 11:37 AM

First thing you need is a generator, but one that exhausts to the outside. If funds are short, then look into a hand crank generator.

iPad or netbook would be adequate. If there is a power outage, especially for a nuclear disaster, then there is a good chance that you will not have internet.

With that said, if you wish to communicate with the outside world either a two way radio or shortwave radio.

#3 jburd1800

jburd1800

• Members
  • 565 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2011 - 08:13 PM

I can't add anything to what Grinler said, but I'm loving this site more everyday. Thank you........

“May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, may the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being, may you walk gently thorugh the world and know it's beauty all the days of your life.”

#4 lostinspace408

lostinspace408
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2011 - 08:23 AM

Hi Grinler,
thanks for taking time to reply to me.
I totally understand the generator idea. I didn't know there is a hand crank version. Do you have a brand that I could look up?
Also, in light of the recent disaster in Japan, and barring a nuclear meltdown in my vicinity (I live within 50 miles of Indian Point in NY)I am thinking of having to deal with fallout from elsewhere. Is it your opinion that if the Northeast U.S. becomes affected by nuclear waste/fallout, that power grid/grids would be disabled as a matter of course? I get that if my local (Indian Point) faciliy blows, I am toast, but I am wondering more, at the moment, about a more generalized exposure from overhead such as we may face in the near term.
Have a great day, and thanks
Ali

#5 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,640 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2011 - 09:09 AM

Hi Ali,

I do not have a name of a hand crank brand. Maybe try home depot or an online store and read some reviews.

As for the rest, I am not knowledgeable enough to answer your questions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users