Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Win7 install.....all updates.....no dvd player

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 etherdose

etherdose

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 PM

Posted 21 March 2011 - 10:22 AM

Simply

I have a fresh install of Windows 7...all updates applied both software and firmware, and even though this dvd player/burner was used to install Win7, it does not work after the full install to both read and write to. It is not shown on My Computer and it doesn't list but it does list on the Bios on computer start and is enabled on the motherboard. It is an older IDE dvd burner 16x I believe, and it last operated just fine, (it did, after all, install Win7 from a DVD on fresh install.)

Any ideas?

Much appreciated.
...the world is a stage...we the players and the dreamers....the creators of the script in the play we call life. Where are you on my stage? I am I.....you are you, but what are we?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 PM

Posted 21 March 2011 - 11:02 AM

Your CD drive or DVD drive is missing or is not recognized by Windows or other programs: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982116#appliesto

If you choose the "Let me fix it myself" option please heed the following:

Important This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base: 322756 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756/ ) How to back up and restore the registry in Windows

#3 etherdose

etherdose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 PM

Posted 21 March 2011 - 03:34 PM

Damn!

So far this might have worked. I ran it on firefox with scripts allowed and run it after download. It took a while but now the drive is playing data. Now to see (when I get time) if it burns..............

(thank you for the direction by the way..) :-)
...the world is a stage...we the players and the dreamers....the creators of the script in the play we call life. Where are you on my stage? I am I.....you are you, but what are we?

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2011 - 03:35 PM

Also, just please check to see if there are any errors in device manager.

#5 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2011 - 05:58 PM

Glad to hear it. The same thing happened to me after using DVD to install SP1. Check for errors in device manager as Allan suggested.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users