Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Confusing Email Problem

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ABNINF

ABNINF

• Members
  • 397 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 PM

Posted 21 March 2011 - 10:04 AM

Howdy!

I'm using Mozilla Thunderbird as my email browser. Up until this morning everything was running just fine. Today when I send email everything works just fine but if I hit the reply button I get this error;

An error occurred while sending mail. The mail server responded: http://www.spamhaus.org/query/bl?ip=173.184.82.207. Please check the message recipient Name.changed@Domain.changed.com and try again.

When I run the IP of 173.184.82.207 it comes up to one of my email providers (Windstream)

I'm popping 2 different accounts to Mozilla.

I've gone to both of the accounts via web browser and have successfully sent email FROM those accounts but I can't reply via Thunderbird.

Any ideas? Suggestions?

Thanks!
KC

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 PM

Posted 21 March 2011 - 10:40 AM

very confusing. I guess the site spamhaus thinks that the people you are emailing are spammers or that you are and is blocking you for some reason. Do you have spamhaus software? What is it?

#3 ABNINF

ABNINF
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 397 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2011 - 10:51 AM

very confusing. I guess the site spamhaus thinks that the people you are emailing are spammers or that you are and is blocking you for some reason. Do you have spamhaus software? What is it?

No, I don't have spamhaus and the people I'm emailing don't either. It appears as though spamhaus is used by the servers of whomever you use for your ISP.

KC

#4 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 PM

Posted 21 March 2011 - 05:01 PM

try turning on smtp authentication:

Tools : Accounts : Properties : Outgoing Mail Server : check "My server requires authentication"

If that doesn't work try complaining to your isp, it is ridiculous that a spam blocker is blocking legitimate communication, it's counter productive to say the least.

#5 ABNINF

ABNINF
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 397 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2011 - 12:57 PM

try turning on smtp authentication:

Tools : Accounts : Properties : Outgoing Mail Server : check "My server requires authentication"

If that doesn't work try complaining to your isp, it is ridiculous that a spam blocker is blocking legitimate communication, it's counter productive to say the least.

I don't see anywhere in Thunderbird where I can turn on the SMTP authentication. I'm still trying to find a solution or some type of work around. I contacted the ISP and they had me email them the error message but I haven't heard anything back. This is strange and infuriating.

Thanks the suggestion.

KC

#6 ABNINF

ABNINF
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 397 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2011 - 01:39 PM

Ok, I got it! For any who may have this problem here's how it got solved;

I contacted the ISP. They told me to unplug the router for 15 minutes. That would cause me to have a new IP issued. Evidently the IP I was issued was being blocked. After a 15 minute unplug session I plugged it back in and voila! I can send email again.

Thanks to those who offered suggestions.

KC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users