Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow response / Blank screen for a long duration during StartUp / Many more... :\

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 ojhaa

ojhaa

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 AM

Posted 21 March 2011 - 12:25 AM

Hello all! I have been having this problem for quite a while now, but only recently I sat down to figure out what was actually going on (and have been unable to do so). Since I don't actually know the origin of this problem or what specific parts of my PC (or heck, even if it is not a part, but the operating system) are causing my pc to behave in such a manner, I will simply list the things which are happening and hopefully it leads us somewhere.
Few facts before I get into the entire situation, I'd like to state that I have a HP Media Center PC m7680n which originally came with:
intel core 2 duo E6400
2 GB ram
500 GB HDD
Nvidia 7300 LE
wireless desktop keyboard/mouse
Windows XP
Upgrades I made (which should not have anything to do with the problem seeing that these are somewhat old upgrades which I did a few years ago and the pc worked fine with them for a few years):
upgraded to Windows 7 Pro (the upgrade itself is old, but... recently reformatted and reinstalled.... well... yesterday)
added two extra 2 GB ram sticks (Ballistix)
added a new graphics card (Nvidia 8600 GTS)

Now lets get down to the actual problem...
Symptom 1:
As I start my PC, after the windows logo appears, the screen goes black. It remains black for a couple of hours after which it finally shows the blue welcome screen and sets everything up and logs the user in.
Symptom 2:
After logging in, if I immediately try to open a program (within 5-15 minutes)... I get the following error, "Blablabla.exe - The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion". I must then wait another hour or two for this to go away after which it sort of works
Symptom 3:
Now that I can open up folders and programs, I try to open up "My Computer". When I try to do so, it takes a really long time to load the entire folder of "my computer" and the green loading bar slowly inches its way forward. From there, I can get access to any drive easily (w/o it taking years to load).
Symptom 4:
Going into control panel, then into Devices, USB Reader seems to have a caution sign on the bottom left of the icon. When I plug in a media card reader / external HDD, it does not respond or show me what is inside the hard drive or the sd card. But my mouse which I also connected through USB is there and working.
Symptom 5:
Unable to connect to the internet after re-format which makes the windows auto-update system absolutely useless. So I reformatted last night and realized that all of those problems mentioned above are still there (so maybe not a software issue but a hardware one?!)
Will edit / add more stuff if I run across any other problems to further clarify the situation!

Suggestions I received:
Replace HDD / Insert new one / do another clean install
Replace Mobo (seems like a lot of work though, seeing PC is about 4 and a half years old)
BIOS Error (for the long boot time and black screen) and maybe the fact that USB reader is not responsive due to windows not having installed the drivers for it

ANY HELP / FIX WOULD BE AMAZING!
Thanks in advance!
-Ash

Edited by ojhaa, 21 March 2011 - 01:10 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 PM

Posted 21 March 2011 - 12:48 AM

I am having trouble on finding your HP model, can you post the direct link to your model?

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 AM

Posted 21 March 2011 - 12:49 AM

Here is a question and then a suggestion.

Question: Did you install the motherboard drivers that came on a CD or DVD that came with the motherboard?

Suggestion: Try to install any chip set drivers available from your motherboard manufacturer, if you have to download the latest drivers on another computer and burn them to a disk and then transfer those to the computer you are having problems with, please do so.

You may have to do this if you lost or misplaced the motherboard's drivers disk or just do not have it.

Motherboards do not always run 100% sufficiently without the proper chip set drivers installed.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#4 ojhaa

ojhaa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2011 - 01:28 AM

I am having trouble on finding your HP model, can you post the direct link to your model?

Fixed it. Sorry about that. It was the m7680n not the m7689n
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/product?product=3230688&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&submit.y=0&submit.x=0&lang=en&cc=us
There's a link for you

#5 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2011 - 01:53 AM

These drivers are for Windows Vista because there is no drivers for windows 7. Download the audio, graphics, modem and network drivers. After installing them run the SFC scan by running CMD as the administrator then typing in "sfc /scannow" . After all that go windows update and fully update of the updates available except for the languages update.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#6 ojhaa

ojhaa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2011 - 06:58 PM

These drivers are for Windows Vista because there is no drivers for windows 7. Download the audio, graphics, modem and network drivers. After installing them run the SFC scan by running CMD as the administrator then typing in "sfc /scannow" . After all that go windows update and fully update of the updates available except for the languages update.

Unable to install them... received an error: "Your system does not meet the minimum requirements for this update. Update has been cancelled. (9998)". Probably because they're for Vista and I have win7

will be trying Bruce's suggestion next.

Edited by ojhaa, 21 March 2011 - 06:58 PM.

#7 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2011 - 07:24 PM

Unable to install them... received an error: "Your system does not meet the minimum requirements for this update. Update has been cancelled. (9998)". Probably because they're for Vista and I have win7

A lot of drivers meant for Windows Vista will work on a Windows 7 computer.

The error you are receiving is stating that your system is not meeting the minimum requirement for the drivers.

We need to figure out what it is finding fault with.

Those are Vista drivers, Windows 7 is a higher release number, so the error can not be pointing to the operating system as the reason for the error.

If you were trying to install Vista drivers on a Windows XP machine, then the operating system would be the cause of the error.

So your error is hardware related.

Since the default operating system was Windows XP, I tend to think your hardware does not support the Windows Vista drivers.

Now here is what I see when I go to your drivers download page:

I see drivers for Windows 7 32 Bit and Windows 7 64 Bit

The link above was linked to VISTA drivers.

Try this link http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=4062&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=3230688

If the link above defaults back to Windows Vista 32 Bit, please use the drop down menu and select Windows 7 32 Bit

Try those drivers and report back the results.

Bruce.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#8 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2011 - 07:30 PM

Okay I checked that link and all it offers is LightScribe System Software update :angry:

I guess they were noobs when they didn't supply the rest of the drivers.

Yeah, I am confused because they should have included drivers for the hardware to work with Windows 7.

Bruce.

#9 ojhaa

ojhaa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2011 - 08:39 PM

I also cannot find any discs which may help. There is a wireless driver disc I have but it is for Windows XP :(
bumpbumpbump!!!

#10 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2011 - 10:02 PM

Getting back to what I mentioned earlier about this system originaly having Windows xp on it.

I found this support information regarding upgrading XP to Vista, now being that Windows 7 is newer than Vista, it would also have the same issues.

Important information about upgrading from Windows XP to Windows Vista

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00845986&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&product=3230688

Bruce.

#11 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2011 - 12:16 AM

Okay I checked that link and all it offers is LightScribe System Software update :angry:

I guess they were noobs when they didn't supply the rest of the drivers.

Yeah, I am confused because they should have included drivers for the hardware to work with Windows 7.

Bruce.

LOL that's why i posted the vista drivers because of the lightscribe crap :)

>Michael 

#12 ojhaa

ojhaa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2011 - 01:20 AM

tried the scan, didnt really find much. bumpbumpbump!! Any help would be awesome, thanks for the replies everyone

#13 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2011 - 02:24 AM

Have you tried windows update?

>Michael 

#14 ojhaa

ojhaa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2011 - 08:10 PM

Symptom 5:
Unable to connect to the internet after re-format which makes the windows auto-update system absolutely useless. :P

Edited by hamluis, 23 March 2011 - 06:04 PM.
Removed unnecessary quote.

#15 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2011 - 12:57 AM

For that error you received "Your system does not meet the minimum requirements for this update. Update has been cancelled. (9998)", was that for all the updates when you tried them?

If not this driver might help you get connected to the internet.

>Michael 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users