Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What is wrong with this computer?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ccchhhrrriiisss

ccchhhrrriiisss

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 PM

Posted 20 March 2011 - 10:45 PM

Hey guys and gals...

My brother-in-law's brother is having an issue with his computer. I live in Northern California, so I don't have the actual computer in front of me. However, his computer specs are as follows:

Specs:
Toshiba M105-F3041 laptop
Intel Core processor
512 MB RAM
Windows XP Professional
80 GB hard drive

When he called me, he had several problems with his computer:

• Website "redirect" virus in Mozilla Firefox and Internet Explorer. His website was quickly redirected from one site to the next (often a "Babylon 9 Translation" webpage).
  • "XP Antispyware Alert" virus that constantly displayed popups from "XP Antispyware" and "XP Firewall" warning about his system.
  • Very sluggish system.
  • Programs that he downloaded (.exe programs -- like Malwarebytes Anti-Malware) could not be opened from his computer.

I advised him run FixExe.reg and then download Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware from another computer onto a flash drive and run it on the infected system. He did this and it found certain things wrong. However, there were still some problems with his laptop.

Next, I suggested that he run Spybot on his computer. This was able to take away the fake "XP Antispyware" popup issue. However, the laptop was still having problems with the internet website "redirect" virus. He was also continuing to get popups that found "exceptions" and needed to turn off his PC.

Then, I suggested that he download Kaspersky TDSSKiller. He ran this and it found one problem. He allowed the program to "cure" this problem. He restarted his PC.

Now, he is getting constant "exception" problems. He tried to open Mozilla Firefox and received a "plugin-container.exe exception" that would not allow Firefox to open. He tried to open Internet Explorer, but he received a message that said, "IBMviavoice speech recognition has encountered a problem..." Next, he tried to open Add and Remove Programs from the Control Panel (so that he could uninstall Firefox and reinstall it from a flash drive), but he received a message that said, "run a dll as an app has encountered a problem..." Each of these problems give him an option to "debug" or "close." I am not sure if this is yet another weird virus...or if the "debug" option is legit.

I am not in front of his computer, but I can offer him instructions. Does anyone know what he should do?

Thanks for any help that you can offer!

*EDIT - We also removed his outdated version of Norton and added Microsoft Security Essentials.

Edited by hamluis, 21 March 2011 - 06:53 AM.
Moved from XP to Am i Infected.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 PM

Posted 21 March 2011 - 06:49 AM

He should post in the Malware section of this site and request help clearing his system of malware. It needs to be done by the person with the computer.

#3 ccchhhrrriiisss

ccchhhrrriiisss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 PM

Posted 21 March 2011 - 12:11 PM

He should post in the Malware section of this site and request help clearing his system of malware. It needs to be done by the person with the computer.

Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately, he cannot make a post himself...because it is the only computer he has. That is why he asked me for help. I am not sure if I should wait for someone to respond here...if a moderator wants to move this thread to the Malware section...or if I should make a new post in the Malware section (as you suggested).

Still, he is a teacher and relies on his computer for lesson plans. Hopefully (with the help of the brains on this website), we can figure this thing out soon.

:thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users