Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Scammers on national TV

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,735 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 AM

Posted 20 March 2011 - 09:07 PM

Just watching NHL Network and I see some ad for maxmyspeed_dot_com
Of course, they'll cure anything for you. Remotely, I assume.

Going to WOT, I see this: http://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/maxmyspeed.com
All negative.

Does it mean, that any crap, which has enough money to pay for advertisement can officially scam innocent people?
Unbelievable!

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 42,735 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2011 - 09:11 PM

I just found out, that the above site and another scam at mycleanpc_dot_com come from infamous CyberDefender.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 AM

Posted 20 March 2011 - 09:41 PM

that blows, I have seen the same ad at 3am on tv, I bet they fleece a lot of suckers.

#4 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2011 - 09:57 PM

McAfee Site "Advisor" gives it a "Green" rating :hysterical:

Posted Image

Proving once again the uselessness of anything under the McAfee brand.

#5 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 42,735 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2011 - 10:02 PM

Google search for "maxmyspeed scam" says it all: http://www.google.com/search?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=1G1ACAWCENUS405&=&q=maxmyspeed+scam&aq=f&aqi=g1&aql=&oq=

My Website

p4433470.gif

#6 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2011 - 10:46 PM

CyberDefender's affiliate program offers a $36 per sale commission : http://www.cyberdefender.com/affiliates.html

Some other domains they may be using / have used:

cleanpcnow.com
cyberdefender.com
cyber-defender.com
doublemyspeed.com
verycleanpc.com
cleanpcnow.com
cleanpctoday.com
doublemypcspeeed.com
freepcdiagnosis.com
freshpctoday.com
getprotectedonline.com
maxmyspeed.com
mycleanpc.com
myidentitydefender.com
myprotectedpc.com

Edit to add: I am posting the information in this& any previous posts in this topic ONLY to demonstrate that the products/domains/programs mentioned in this thread are designed to do ONE thing & one thing only: To extract $ from naive/gullible/underinformed computer users. I DO NOT CONDONE THE USE OF THESE "PRODUCTS" IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM.

Edited by Union_Thug, 21 March 2011 - 07:25 AM.

#7 Drovers Dog

Drovers Dog

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 AM

Posted 21 March 2011 - 06:34 AM

:hysterical:
Have another one here in this Forum, I am only posting to put it off the main Board, seems to be no Mods or Staff about at this time.

Ray
What ever you give to others, you will get back doubled, Just make sure you only give Nice Things?......DD saying

There is a saying, "You just can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" it means "to be happy with what you have and not look for the impossible"......DD saying

The "Spirit" of the people who died, on that terrible day 9/11 will NEVER REST until such time as the "Imbeciles" that caused it, are eliminated through out the World.....DD saying

What is a Dog?

#8 Drovers Dog

Drovers Dog

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2011 - 10:06 AM

Following on from a PM from a Member, I feel obliged to explain my last Comment to explain just why it was made.

I was actually referring to another Spammer, I am deadly in picking them out, I actually loathe them, that was active in the same Forum, but I had no success at that time to contact anyone from Management to remove it, so I just used my Post to remove it from the Main Board and remove the Spammers main impact area.

One of the worst Frustrations for Spammers that attack at a vunerable time is to see their post come off the Main Board. Remember that?

I certainly apoligise if I have offended any one with this, but I did it thriough a care for the Family of BC. I hope you all understand?

Ray.

Edited by Drovers Dog, 21 March 2011 - 10:27 AM.

What ever you give to others, you will get back doubled, Just make sure you only give Nice Things?......DD saying

There is a saying, "You just can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" it means "to be happy with what you have and not look for the impossible"......DD saying

The "Spirit" of the people who died, on that terrible day 9/11 will NEVER REST until such time as the "Imbeciles" that caused it, are eliminated through out the World.....DD saying

What is a Dog?

#9 MegaDan5

MegaDan5

• Members
  • 214 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 AM

Posted 21 March 2011 - 08:02 PM

My philosophy is simple, don't trust advertising pertaining to making computers faster.

#10 BucketHead1

BucketHead1

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2011 - 07:07 PM

I am part of another forum and new here. But over there they do malware cleaning and preventing as well. And some times we've gotten people that came asking about cleanmypc and few others sites. I tried finding the thread to refresh my memory and get the right answers. But I know that cleanmypc is also in "sides" of another known site. I don't know which one it is could be maxmyspeed who knows. But after some looking around it was seen that they were same people or something. But like here we suggested they stop using the sites and yet more people would post in the thread saying they use it and pay for monthly and its safe.. And with these replies added the others continue to use the sites. But the thing is people come and say they got 400 plus errors with cleanmypc has found yet they wont listen to reasoning. I suggest not using the sites listed.

#11 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 AM

Posted 22 March 2011 - 10:46 PM

I watched a super bowl, get this, a superbowl, commercial, saying that if you experienced a blue screen then it was likely you had a virus and should buy their product. I was like wait, what? most BSODs come from hardware/driver issues-not viruses (I say most, because some of them can be caused by viruses) but the sad thing is, some people do fall for them.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#12 Drovers Dog

Drovers Dog

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2011 - 01:13 AM

I watched a super bowl, get this, a superbowl, commercial, saying that if you experienced a blue screen then it was likely you had a virus and should buy their product. I was like wait, what? most BSODs come from hardware/driver issues-not viruses (I say most, because some of them can be caused by viruses) but the sad thing is, some people do fall for them.

And this from Broni from Post 1.

Does it mean, that any crap, which has enough money to pay for advertisement can officially scam innocent people?
Unbelievable!

Broni, in a word, Yes!

Unlike the Media, who certainly have to face the Music when they get it all wrong,
Advertising Consultants seem to live in Glass Towers, free from true Government intervention all over the World, no matter what Country.

All the World wide Media and even small Media outlets employ Staff to sell Advertising within their particular organisation, those are scanned fully for authitencity, but often it leaves gaps, so each one of them allows Advertising Consultants to submit copy to them. Thinking that those people have screened them, as Professionals, like their own Staff, no further checks are made on the Ads. That is the really sad and think about it.

I do know this for Fact, having been involved in Advertising Consultancy back in the 80's in Australia. I was not there very long before I decided to change Businesses and move on for the following reasons:

1. I am a very ethical person that believes to always do my Job in a proper manner,
without causing any Harm to my Customers.

2. The general consensus was that "the Customer is always right and we need to get
his/her Money" Sorry I could not find that the way I wanted to go.

3. I made a lot of money in it, just by selling space for known existing reputable
People, that appreciated my efforts.

I hope this helps to unerdstand what possibly could be going on in this?

My Advice is to Ring the Media concerned and voice your views to them? I am very sure that they will listen to any Complaints.

Ray

What is a Dog?

#13 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,260 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2011 - 06:22 AM

Hm... So your'e saying if I have the money, I can get an ad on TV for just about anything? How cool is that! I can get one saying if everybody in the country would send $1, it could bring happiness throughout the world! It would not be a lie, if I had that much money I could be happy traveling the world! :clapping:

I work nights, so on my nights off I get to see some TV. I say some because you would not believe the crap that is on overnight. My idea is no worse than most, and more honest.. :hysterical:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#14 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2011 - 12:01 PM

I knew something was wrong when I saw a green lizard looking thing trying to see me car insurance. He sounds honest.

#15 MegaDan5

MegaDan5

• Members
  • 214 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2011 - 09:43 PM

The "MyCleanPC" commercials are beginning to run again around the area I live in. I've told my family, friends, and customers at my workplace to stay away from it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users