Jump to content


 


Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.


Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Excessive data usage thro ISP


  • Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 fairwind

fairwind

  • Members
  • 20 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:West Australia
  • Local time:08:26 AM

Posted 20 March 2011 - 07:56 PM

Excessive Data Usage Problem

I was getting an increase in download per month from my ISP over the last three months. Last month I was “shaped” out of a 5 Gb allowance. My average monthly download for years has been less than 1Gb. I downloaded a data monitor and discovered that my PC was d/loading a whole lot less than what my ISP was recording. Something was wrong !!

I did all the usual anti-virus/malware/etc checks and that made no difference. First 9 days of this month ( March 2011 ) I was up to 3.5Gb, I hit the panic button and called the techy at my ISP.

He had a look at my usage over the last three months and quizzed me about my router and then said it is highly likely that my D-Link G604T was not “secured” and that some one was “leaching” my access load from my ISP. He lead me thro the resetting of the router and we found the “wireless” section and unchecked the “Enable AP” box. Clicked the “Apply” button and now it all seems OK. So far, so good. The end of this month will prove the point I hope.

Alex ( the techy ) led me thro the following solution.

Connect the router up again to the PC ( I had it disconnected to prevent further loss of access time to my ISP )
Open the browser and type 10.1.1.1 in the address field lifting the D-Link control
Click “Wireless” on LHS panel
Uncheck the box for “Enable AP”
Click “Apply”, the green button at the bottom RH side

NB. 10.1.1.1 is the web page address for my D-Link G604T router, it needs codes to be able to change settings. This router is wireless and cable, I use cable as I dont have wireless NICs.

Open up normal window in browser and carry on
Down with all Hackers and similar types...

fairwind

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

 





0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users