Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

what is a PMD connector

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 FayB

FayB

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 AM

Posted 20 March 2011 - 07:00 PM

I have an HP pavilion 180-T. I am looking at some instructions for it about replacing a hard drive. I do not need to do it at this time - just looking.
The instructions say to remove the PMD connector from the top of the cage. What is a PMD connector?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 PM

Posted 20 March 2011 - 07:19 PM

it connects usb to motherboard.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01946060&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=4066662&lang=en#N438

you shouldn't need to go anywhere near it to take a hard drive out, I wouldn't think.

Usually, with the computer off and unplugged, you just disconnect the cable or ribbon cable from the back of it and slide it out.

Edited by thrillhouse, 20 March 2011 - 07:24 PM.

#3 FayB

FayB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2011 - 08:28 PM

Thrillhouse,

Thanks for your reply, but I am confused now. Sometimes seems like the more I try to learn the more conufsed I get. :(

Here is the link to the instructions I am looking at
http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02067973.pdf

I am looking at Removing A Hard Disk Drive - setp 11.

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 AM

Posted 20 March 2011 - 08:47 PM

Actually in that case you do need to remove it, its just a little cable, only plugs in one way. Follow the picture directions in that guide, and you should be fine. You might be able to do it without removing that cable, but it would certainly be easier if you do. It in itself has nothing to do with the hard drive, its just placed in the way of the hard drive.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#5 FayB

FayB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2011 - 09:02 PM

the_patriot11

OK, I don't need to do anything at this time, just reviewing information for the future. Before I got the new computer, I had 2 hard drive crashes on the old computer and paid a computer shop to replace it both times
I recently got up the nerve to try replacing the hard dive on that computer to see if I could do it . But the instructions for this one looks a lot more complicated. It is still under warranty so I will not be messing with it soon, but trying to learn all I can. Just trying to get ahead of the game on this one by learning some stuff now.

Feel a tillte better now that I know the PMD cable doesn't really have anything to do with the hard drive.

thnaks
Fay

#6 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 AM

Posted 20 March 2011 - 11:45 PM

its the same basic principle as the other drives, the drive itself is just held in by screws, you unscrew it and the connectors, and it will come out, the only trick part is getting it around the case and other obstructions, but the manual does a decent job doing it, and with the wires, they only plug in one way, as far as those are concerned, a rule of thumb I follow is if you have to force it your probably doing it wrong-its a good rule of thumb when messing with internal components.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users