Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

undeletable files--grr!

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 EdBee

EdBee

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 AM

Posted 23 October 2004 - 05:51 PM

I was using the %temp% in run box to get rid of some temps. One file wouldn't leave--put up some Win box saying "it may be being used by some other..." total BS--Some of the verbiage was in German! It got me so perturbed I quit messing with it and went on to something else. I think a good listing/tutorial for this type (annoying) situation would be good. After all, I paid for the g'dmn machine. What is Killbox--any good?--I saw some little app that said it would jump in and get rid of everything etc.--I would rather have somthing semi-auto to get rid of clutter. This is a situation that I see more and more on this BB. The frustration of getting rid of all CRAP-old setup files!! I always thought set-up files were always zipped! :inlove: not so!!! I found two that needed to go, but had been hogging space for a long time-we need a setup file evaporator that after 6o days that sends them to old setup file heaven--rant :woot: :P :thumbsup: :flowers: :trumpet: :cool: :)
EDBEE from NMUSA- RENOWNED MALWARE FIGHTER AND SWORN ENEMY OF ALL INTERNET HIJACKERS

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 AM

Posted 23 October 2004 - 06:35 PM

Try using the %temp% in Safe Mode., EdBee
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 AM

Posted 23 October 2004 - 08:57 PM

The problem with some of the cleaning applications is that they clean TOO much. At best they can present files for your review and research, at worse they can seriously harm your operating system if left to themselves. If you have a MS disk cleanup program on your computer, you can use that to help automate the process, especially with temporary files.
A good practice with any program you download is consistently to put it in a "Download" folder. After you install the application, it is then a simple matter to go to the file and either archive it or delete it. You can extract your zipped files there, as well, which makes deleting both much easier. Managing your computer's hard drive is as much as matter of consistent practices as anything else.

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 Bobbi Flekman

Bobbi Flekman

The computer whisperer

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,422 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 PM

Posted 24 October 2004 - 02:29 AM

Killbox is good. It is a program that lets you delete any file.

Download Killbox from BC. Extract it from the zip file then double-click on Killbox.exe to run it. In the "Paste Full Path of File to Delete" box, enter <Insert BadFile and Path> and click "Kill File". Click "Exit" when done.

If it doesn't get deleted, click on "Action", "Delete on Reboot". Use "File", "Add" to locate the file and add it to the list of files to be deleted. When you're done, click "Action", "Process and Reboot", and let Killbox do it's work.

If you receive a message such as: "Component 'MsComCtl.ocx' or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid." when trying to run Killbox, click here to download and run missingfilesetup.exe. Then try Killbox again.
Posted Image

#5 TexasAngel67

TexasAngel67

Bleeping Helper

• Members
  • 1,551 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2004 - 04:19 AM

I've never heard of Killbox. Nobody has ever suggested it to me. I have 4 files that always show up in Temp Int. Files that won't delete. The ONLY way to remove them is going through Safe Mode. That is redundant since they just pop up again. The problem resurfaces and same with CWS_NS3 or whatever it is. It's always found but never totally gone. I hope you have better luck, Ed. If you find a solution, let me know please. I'm running WinME, if that makes a difference, assuming everyone else has XP or so it seems. Well, Scarlett has ME too.

#6 EdBee

EdBee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2004 - 10:51 AM

Thanks All,
I will be trying Killbox shortly and I will post the results of this new adventure on this thread. PS: Going to Safe Mode to get rid of just one file would really make me angry!! :trumpet: :inlove: :thumbsup: :flowers:
EDBEE from NMUSA- RENOWNED MALWARE FIGHTER AND SWORN ENEMY OF ALL INTERNET HIJACKERS

#7 Notorious

Notorious

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2004 - 07:56 AM

Thanks All, Going to Safe Mode to get rid of  just one file would really make me angry!!   :inlove:  :flowers:  :trumpet:  :thumbsup:

That maybe so, but it is the only way to get rid of something.. I do ALL kind of scans in safe mode..
You can also try to clean your index.dat (in Safe mode :woot: ) better yet, try CRAP Cleaner.. It's a free program that cleans temporary internet files, cookies, history, recent urls, application MRUs, etc.
You can download the program here

Edited by Notorious, 14 December 2004 - 07:56 AM.

Posted Image

Down in the bayou, Bubba called an attorney and asked, "Is it true they're suin' the cigarette companies for causing people to get cancer?
"Sure is Bubba. But why you asking?"
"Cause what I want to know is, I was thinking, can I sue Budweiser for all them ugly women I've slept with?"

#8 EdBee

EdBee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2004 - 04:51 PM

Thanks Notorious--

I have been using "safe mode" lately more when deleting files--does (your/anyone) opinion does scanning in safe mode do as good a job? Is faster?
My biggest gripe (other than dealing with malware etc.) is having useless files sitting on my harddrive. This is about my 7th and 8th PC and on every one of them I spend a lot of time getting rid of stuff the mfgr (DELL) thought I should have--some stuff has stayed around for 2 or 3 years before I get it off (time-I could be doing something else).
I have noticed in WINXP-Remove/add programs there is a feature that tells you how often the program has been used ie..seldom,never etc. However, at a quick glance, it seems innaccurate. Has anyone else noticed this "feature" ? :thumbsup:

#9 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 AM

Posted 14 December 2004 - 05:21 PM

hey, EdBee. Yes that feature...er, ah seems inaccurate enough to make it worthless IMO. I mean, if their gonna include it , why not some numbers to back up the "rarely" claim?
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#10 thatman

thatman

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 PM

Posted 15 December 2004 - 01:28 PM

Hi all

This little file my be if interest, have been using it now for a number of weeks with no problems it is also free http://www.browsertools.net/IEPK/index.shtml

kc

#11 sh4rkbyt3

sh4rkbyt3

• Members
  • 388 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2010 - 08:58 PM

In response to Edbee's perdicament (bloatware), I like to spend a few days with my own pc's to figure out what programs are needed and which ones aren't. Then before I actually begin to use my own computer, I will take a few hours or more to get rid of all the uneeded applications.
Second step is to max out my RAM so I know the computer is what it is, and I know what it's capable of from the start.
Then of course come safety and security apps (as needed) which closes me out and from there I have little to no problems.
I realize that pre-cleaning can be very tedious and boring work but it always pays in the long run.

Fortunately for us, the bloatware issue is no where near as bad as it was in the mid to late 90's lol. Imagine your hard drive already being over 25% filled right from the get go.

Best Wishes :thumbsup:

#12 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2010 - 08:26 AM

You can always use de-crapifier. (gotta love the name lol)

#13 JugglingJack

JugglingJack

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2010 - 12:10 PM

I don't know if you've considered using Command prompt. I know that if you use command prompt, you can delete files and skip the alert message. I forgot the actual code, I'll try and find it, but my classmates would use cmd to delete administrator access-only files (like filters) that weren't deletable otherwise. So, if you haven't already, you should check out just using the good old command line.

#14 sh4rkbyt3

sh4rkbyt3

• Members
  • 388 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2010 - 01:57 PM

Please do post that Jack. I think that would be extremely useful to me and others as well. The more things become GUI the less we remember DOS. Maybe that's the idea of it?

#15 JugglingJack

JugglingJack

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2010 - 08:07 PM

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000010.htm

We made .bat files to accomplish file deletion. I am pretty sure it works on so-called undeletable/unaccessable files as well, as it bypasses the prompt window, but you will have to find outt yourself.Hope this helps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users