Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My quad Core is now only Reading as a dual core at boot up Virtual box the culprit

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 louisfaeth

louisfaeth

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 PM

Posted 20 March 2011 - 05:12 PM

I was in the process of trying to run linux (satanic edition) in a virtualized state on my computer and dedicated one of my processors and two of my cores (i have a quad core or did until the problem stole them)
in addition to that it also ate 4 gigs of ram. i dedicated two cores one processor and 4 gigs of ram to my linux side. but virtual box crashed and now i cannot retrieve the cores and the lost ram please help me. i reinstalled windows (recovery disk) and upon boot up it says that i only have 4 gig memory and one processor and 2 cores. iass

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2011 - 08:49 PM

this is a shot in the dark, but have you gone into BIOS and tried resetting everything to defaults?

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 louisfaeth

louisfaeth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2011 - 05:52 AM

this is a shot in the dark, but have you gone into BIOS and tried resetting everything to defaults?

wish i could but i do not know my password to bios unfortunately must have changed it when i got it from my usual passwords and now cannot access the bios

I know i am stupid for that* head in palm *gun to head
thank you for your speedy reply i appreciate it

#4 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 PM

Posted 21 March 2011 - 06:04 AM

Restore back to date prior to Linux.
==]--s1lents0ul-->

#5 louisfaeth

louisfaeth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2011 - 06:12 AM

Restore back to date prior to Linux.

tried that was what the recovery was factory recovery
somehow it is all screwed up and i cannot for the life of me figure it out

by the way i found my password list in my computer journal and found the bios password. all my ram is split up into two memory banks and is only reading 4 gigs in the windows section
my other cores are missing as well.

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 PM

Posted 21 March 2011 - 06:41 AM

I think what the_patriot11 was asking you to do was go into your BIOS setup utility and look for the menu navigation keyboard shortcuts menu. Here there should be a keyboard key option to restore the BIOS defaults.

The key that is commonly used is the F-5 or F-7 key, however make sure you observe which key it is my examining your BIOS menu.

Most motherboards have a BIOS reset jumper on the motherboard, it is usually labeled CLR_CMOS on the motherboard, however, the CMOS backup battery has to be removed from the motherboard prior to moving this jumper.

The system has to be powered off when doing this procedure or permanent damage will occur to your motherboard.

Also make sure you touch the metal frame of the computer case before touching anything on the motherboard, this will reduce the risk of damage caused by static electricity.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#7 louisfaeth

louisfaeth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2011 - 01:32 PM

ok went into bios and reset to defaults and then tried every Function key to run the mem diag test and all that stuff finally went through all the test. Now i have all my ram while in the windows explorer. But two of my cores are missing still but ram is magically reappeared. but the interestin thing is that upon boot up it still says that i only have 4 gigs memory and two cores and one processor. which is strange to say the least i have no idea what happened but thank you to all that have tried to help me on this problem
i have also been trying to get support from VirtualBox but the support is non existent to say the least. dont know what to do now suggestions (other than putting gun to head 0-0 lol)

once again thank you to all that help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users