Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Restore to an earlier time!!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 garybear

garybear

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 PM

Posted 20 March 2011 - 04:21 PM

Hello BC members!
I'm sure all you old dogs know this, but maybe there are some that don't
I seldom use restore points to restore my PC to an earlier time.It however can be a good tool at times.
I recently noticed that my PC was not getting the automatic 24 restore points so I researched and found this link.
I discovered that my Task Scheduler in services had been changed to manual. It needs to be set to automatic for System Restore to work .
Both System Restore and Task Scheduler have to be on automatic in services.I don't know how or when mine got changed.
I'm now getting restore points ever 24 hours. Here's the link. I hope this will help someone!!
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/checkpoints.htm

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garybear

garybear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 PM

Posted 20 March 2011 - 04:44 PM

Hello BC members!!
You probably know this also. If you have your slider all the way to the right (12%) for C Drive; the restore points will use about 4.44GB. space on a 40GB drive.I have mine on 5% about 1.85GB. If your short on free space, you can pick up some GB's here. I guess this isn't a big deal for you guys that have 12 TB drives. Mine is only 40GB. I have 9.72 GB used and 27+GB free on my C drive. Actually I have a 100GB Drive split in three partions. I do have a fair knowledge of XP3, not an expert but think I know enough to be able to comment on other posts some times :whistle: even though I have been informed not to post when I'm guessing; which is good advice that I'll try my best to follow

#3 TheUltimatum7

TheUltimatum7

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 AM

Posted 30 August 2011 - 09:26 PM

Something I feel I should mention, you shouldn't solely rely on the System Restore by Windows, because when my PC messed up with a BSOD after downloading some virus, I guess, all the System Restore points were deleted. I know they were they before, because I had checked them. I recommend ERUNT, I read about it on this forum, and now use it along with the built in System Restore.

Edited by TheUltimatum7, 30 August 2011 - 09:28 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users