Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random Freezing Issues

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Toolbox91

Toolbox91

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 PM

Posted 20 March 2011 - 03:46 PM

Lately I have been having some issues with my desktop. I swapped cases and since then I have had issues with my machine freezing on me. A few times it has done it during videos but it usually happens during gameplay. My first thought was that the RAM or graphics card wasn't seated good so I pulled those and reseated them both as well as pulled the the mobo power connector and reconnected. After this it continued to happen time and time again. When it freezes it plain out freezes, video freezes, sound freezes/repeats the last slpit second of play. Ctrl alt delete is unresponsive, the only thing to do is a hard boot.

After this I decided to just reinstall windows thinking that perhaps something wierd is going on with a driver and it was just a coincidence with the case swap timing. I needed to wipe anyway (just time) and so I did that last night. Got everything installed and started playing battlefield 1942 today. First game went fine, then halfway through the 2nd game it froze. This is getting really irritating and I running out of ideas. The only other thing I can look into is heat but I don't believe that to be the issue.

If anyone has any suggestion please post em up. Not being able to use my desktop is plain out annoying. Below is the basic list of my PC specs.

Asus P5N-E SLI Mobo
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66ghz
Geforce 7600GS
500W Power Supply
4GB (4 1 gb sticks) DDR2 RAM
Windows 7 64-bit

If anything else needs to be listed please let me know. I really appreciate any assistance with the issue. Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 PM

Posted 20 March 2011 - 04:54 PM

Download System Information for Windows (SIW free version)
No installation required.

After it scans your computer, navigate to Hardware>Sensors and post all info from there.

Posted Image

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 Toolbox91

Toolbox91
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2011 - 05:10 PM

Posted Image

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,699 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2011 - 05:25 PM

Start some game and post a fresh screenshot.
Your CPU max temp is listed at 72C.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#5 Toolbox91

Toolbox91
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2011 - 08:28 PM

Okay so I opened up SIW and started CPU killer which puts a predetermined load of your choice on the processor. I set it to 99% so both of my cores were busy. Let it for for 20 minutes (maximum for free version) and the temps for the CPU got up to 66C. So that is perhaps a possibility but I am more inclined to look at the GPU. During the test it was basically idling around 54C which seems somewhat hot. Would a gpu overheating cause freezing issues such as this or would the program just shut down?

I plan on increasing the air flow over the cpu and gpu somehow temporarily and seeing if keeping the temperatures cooler helps.

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,699 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2011 - 08:31 PM

GPU can take much more heat, than CPU.
54C for GPU is not unusual, but 66C for your CPU is too high in my opinion.

My Website

p4433470.gif

#7 Toolbox91

Toolbox91
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2011 - 10:08 PM

Ok, well I think I might have over reacted a little bit. I think my issue was a simple cooling problem now. lol. I jerry rigged 2 fans, one blowing extra air onto cpu and the other onto the gfx card plus the case side has been off. Played a round and a half of battlefield without any issues. I left SIW running during the game and the cpu temps never went over 52C and the GPU never over 51C. The case that I switched out of stayed cooler for sure. However a friend gave me the case and I didn't care for it and he wanted it back so...... Im back with my old case, which i prefer actually because I custom modded it myself.

Anyways, I will redo the fans situation and see where it gets me. Ill post back up if I have more problem or to let you know its working good. (hopefully the latter). Thanks a TON for your help, I really do appreciate it. Thanks

#8 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,699 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2011 - 10:12 PM

You're very welcome Posted Image

My Website

p4433470.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users