Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Are Hp Flat Screen Monitors Good For Gaming?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 im_no_good_with_computers

im_no_good_with_computers

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 AM

Posted 25 December 2005 - 12:46 PM

i was wondering if hp flat screen monitors good for gaming. because i play moh spearhead which is a pretty old game and the picture is kinda bad and it affects my play so i was wondering if it is the monotor or the fact that i dont have a graphics card (which i am getting tomorrow ati radeon 9250 :thumbsup:) so ya do any of you know any thing about hp monitors?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2005 - 04:01 PM

first off, do you mean a flat screen CRT or like a flat panel LCD?

If you ment a flat screen CRT, yea I'd imagine it would be just fine. However, if you ment a LCD it will probably vary depending on your eyesight (only way to describe it). For example, I feel sick and my eyes have massive strain while using a LCD monitor even though it had a 8ms response time.

Its really more of a personal choice, but I recall seeing (and through personal experience) that CRT's are better for gaming but LCD's are starting to get up to speed.

#3 DigitalRifleman

DigitalRifleman

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2005 - 01:07 PM

i was wondering if hp flat screen monitors good for gaming.

If you mean LCD no they are not good for gaming at all. I use a flat screen CRT monitor vs my friends LCD I get headaches if I use the LCD. So if you plan to game go with CRT monitors all the way.

(which i am getting tomorrow ati radeon 9250 :thumbsup:)

Not to burst your bubble or anything but the 9250 will not play games very well. If you are getting it in PCI version I recommend to get the Apollo 5700LE vs the 9250. If AGP version check out www.newegg.com to see what kind of video card you can get for that price.

Digital

Edited by DigitalRifleman, 27 December 2005 - 01:07 PM.

AMD 64 3200+ Socket 939
GIGABYTE GA-K8NF-9
1 Gig PNY PC3200 RAM
80GB Western Digital Caviar 7200RPM HD
Lite On Dual Layer DVD-RW
GeForce 6800GS 256MB PCI-E X16 Video Card

Dont Have It Finished Yet HD Came DOA :(

#4 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2005 - 01:34 PM

for like 50-60 bucks, you can get like an x300. Obviously its not a great card, but its at least DX9 compatible for newer games. Otherwise, I would reccomend maybe more of a midrange card for gaming like a 6600 gt and the prices for even the 6800 gt should be lowered down quite a bit with the new radeon x1000 series and Nvidia's 7800 series.

#5 welco

welco

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 AM

Posted 29 December 2005 - 11:02 PM

Well I am going to have to disagree with you guys. I think LCD monitors are fine for gaming and I have played with some very high-end and some lower-end LCD monitors and have never seen or noticed the ghosting. It all depends on your perception really, we have a perfect example here, I seem to have no problem with them and some people seem to have a problem with them. Your best bet is to try an LCD monitor out and see how it works for you. Also if you're really looking to game you probably won't be able to on the 9250 and surely not on the X300 (they don't use the AGP interface and they used shared memory) depending on how much you're willing to spend I could suggest some cards for you, or if you're perfectly happy on the 9250 then that's fine too. Not everybody plays the latest games guys.
AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice
1GB GeIL Value Memory Looking for something better...
EPoX EP-9NPAJ
Hitachi 7K80
Jaton 6600GT
400W HiPRO

#6 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2005 - 11:12 PM

yea, its definatly by the person. You might not have had trouble with any LCD's, but I notice ghosting even on an 8ms LCD which were reviewed by many people as 'ghost free'. *edit* so yea, it would be a much better idea to go to a local retail store and test out different kinds of LCD's on display to see what you can stand or can not stand isntead of asking others. Because thats what I did, went off other people's opinions and had to send the monitor back two days after I recieved it.

*edit* I have also heard people say they don't notice any ghosting even on 16ms LCD's.

Edited by Wizdabest, 29 December 2005 - 11:17 PM.

#7 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2005 - 01:51 PM

I've always heard that flat-screen CRT's offer the best performance and visual quality.

They also last longer than the flat-panel monitors (i think).

#8 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 AM

Posted 31 December 2005 - 12:36 PM

I've been using an LCD Flat Panel monitor for 3+ years strong. It hasn't been giving any problems. Plus, I just recently got a new video card with DVI support, YAY! The colors are just wordless. Much more vibrancy in the colors. Totally speechless. But if I was still using a CRT, I wouldn't be getting some of that rare ghosting that I get with my LCD. It all falls under personal preference.

Does anybody know the refresh rate of the Dell UltraSharp 1800FP 19.1" Monitor?

Edited by legoman786, 31 December 2005 - 12:38 PM.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

#9 welco

welco

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 AM

Posted 02 January 2006 - 10:08 PM

Does anybody know the refresh rate of the Dell UltraSharp 1800FP 19.1" Monitor?

Refresh rate isn't a real factor with LCD monitors, but here are the stats:

* Frequency Range
Analog Horizontal: 31 - 80 kHz (automatic)
Analog Vertical: 55 Hz to 85 Hz (automatic)
Digital Horizontal: 31 ? 70kHz (automatic)
Digital Vertical: 55 Hz to 85 Hz (automatic)
* Screen Resolutions
Optimal preset resolution 1280 x 1024 at 60 Hz
Highest preset resolution 1280 x 1024 at 75 Hz
* Video Input
Contrast Ratio: 350:1
Video: Analog RGB and Digital DVI-D TMDS
* Brightness
250 CD/m2 typical
200 CD/m2 minimum
* Viewing Angle
+/- 80 (vertical) typical
+/- 80 (horizontal) typical
* Compatibility
PC and Mac Compatible
* Power Requirement
100 to 240 VAC/50 or 60 Hz
* Power Consumption
50 W
* Regulation Compliant
EPA Energy Star, Plug and Play, FCC-B
* Operation Condition
Temperature:32F - 104F
Humidity:10% - 80%
* Dimensions (W x H x D)
15.98inches x 16.97inches x 8.78inches
Weight (display only) 17.19 lb (7.8 kg )
Weight (with packaging) 22.05 lb (10 kg )
AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice
1GB GeIL Value Memory Looking for something better...
EPoX EP-9NPAJ
Hitachi 7K80
Jaton 6600GT
400W HiPRO

#10 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 AM

Posted 02 January 2006 - 10:10 PM

Thanks alot bro.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users