Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Registering a .com domain name

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 jziggyp

jziggyp

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 AM

Posted 20 March 2011 - 03:08 PM

I am trying to register a Domain name for a friend.. It will be a .com . I know very little about doing this.
How do I go about doing this ?
Do I have to go through a middleman domain name seller ?
Can I register directly at the registry source ? Who would this be ?
Who,What are the sources I need to do this without having to relieve the brain stress of searching sites like Intuit and other middleman sites ?
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks

Edited by Andrew, 24 March 2011 - 06:43 PM.
Mod Edit: Moved From General Chat To Web Site Development - AA

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,725 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 AM

Posted 20 March 2011 - 05:00 PM

First, you have to check, if the domain name is available.
There are plenty of search sites.
For instance: http://instantdomainsearch.com/
If the domain name is available, the above search will give you next steps.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 jziggyp

jziggyp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2011 - 06:29 PM

Yes, I have checked and the name is available....

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,725 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2011 - 06:38 PM

You can register it at number of places.
List of Domain Name Registrars

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#5 jziggyp

jziggyp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2011 - 03:48 PM

Thanks Broni the link helped a lot,,,

My friend now has a .com parked at godaddy..... My next step, LOL women they don't want much!!!!!! I need to find out about a cheap or free and easy way to build a website....I have not done any web building or HTML in 12 years (use it or loose it) I lost it !! Things appear to have changed a lot in this area ....geocities, Yahoo and others all had free site builders and free tools for publishing , tracking usage ,site checkers, etc. to maintain and improve site ranking...The website will be a for selling items she makes. It will need a lot of pages to show and describe a lot individual of items, Shopping cart and accepting CC and paypal at some point???? Any recommendations of a good web hosting service would also be helpful...Low cost and professional looking is her request LOL. .. Thanks again

Edited by jziggyp, 21 March 2011 - 03:50 PM.

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,725 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2011 - 07:14 PM

It looks like you need two things.
Someone, who'll create the page itself and then some host.

I suggest, you start new topic in Web Site Development forum and someone will surely help you there.

My Website

p4433470.gif

#7 jziggyp

jziggyp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2011 - 09:03 PM

Thanks again Broni....Can this thread be moved by a moderator to the web Site Development forum ???

#8 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,725 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2011 - 09:31 PM

You'd have to PM one of mods, but I think, it'd better, if you create new topic, so there are no replies, yet.

My Website

p4433470.gif

#9 jziggyp

jziggyp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2011 - 03:56 PM

OK Thanks,,,, I'll have to do it after I find out more about my newest post LOL ,,, never ends ....

#10 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2011 - 04:46 PM

There are a lot of "free" web hosts out there. But as in almost everything else, you get what you pay for. There are some very reasonable paid hosting plans available from a number of reputable hosting companies. From what it you describe, you will probably not need something top-tier (at least not until/unless your site explodes in popularity and needs more capacity.) Such a hosting plan can usually be had for about $100 per year and come with all the tools you need to build an e-commerce site (databases, PHP/ASP/JSP/whatever, etc.)

Edited by Andrew, 22 March 2011 - 04:46 PM.

#11 jziggyp

jziggyp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2011 - 03:18 PM

There are a lot of "free" web hosts out there. But as in almost everything else, you get what you pay for. There are some very reasonable paid hosting plans available from a number of reputable hosting companies. From what it you describe, you will probably not need something top-tier (at least not until/unless your site explodes in popularity and needs more capacity.) Such a hosting plan can usually be had for about $100 per year and come with all the tools you need to build an e-commerce site (databases, PHP/ASP/JSP/whatever, etc.)

Thanks Andrew,,, Can you suggest an few of the host companies.... Most of the ones my friend has found seem to charge that much on a monthly basis ???? I am also trying to find a e-commerce type website template that doesn't cost thousands.... The freebie type would be good... I do have Microsoft Expressions Web Software and Microsoft publisher. I also have Adobe Photoshop elements 5.0 for editing product pics , but for some reason doesn't want to work and says compatibility problem ????

#12 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2011 - 04:45 PM

For my sites, I use Medialayer. Their cheapest plan is $9.95 per month (with a discount for paying on a quarterly, semi-annually or annual basis.) I have nothing but praise for Medialayer, their service, support, and everything else.

If you want to have complete control over the entire server then you'll have to get a Virtual Private Server host, and those will cost you more. I like Linode for all my VPS needs (running a VPS at Linode and most other VPS companies means that you'll have to know a thing or two about remotely administering a Linux server.)

Here's a list I found of other hosting providers that are dirt cheap (though I've never used them so I can't vouch for them.)

I'm afraid I can't help much with Photoshop Elements 5 besides pointing out that it's really old. If you have a newer Windows version like Vista or Windows 7 then there may be problems with getting it to run.

Edited by Andrew, 24 March 2011 - 04:52 PM.

#13 ITstudent2006

ITstudent2006

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2011 - 09:20 PM

I host my site using Grid. (goDaddy) I also registered my domain with goDaddy. When you host a site with goDaddy you have the option of using free applicationsto build your website.

I have built Intranet sites and am a freelance developer using DotNetNuke and that is one of the free apps with goDaddy. The total amount I paid was $60 for the first year. That included my domain name, hosting, and $150 worth of free advertising via google and MyAds.

Take a look at my site to see what DotNetNuke can do.
www.mi-challenge.org
(mind you it is a site based on foster-care)

Edited by ITstudent2006, 24 March 2011 - 09:20 PM.

~si vis pacem para bellum~

#14 jziggyp

jziggyp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2011 - 08:50 PM

I have started building my friends e-commerce site. I have a registered Domain parked with GoDaddy. I am looking for a shopping cart and accepting CC's.. My problem is finding some sort of shopping cart that will sell 1 of a kind items... One that will sell the item to a buyer , then show that it is sold to any others that want to purchase that same item... I don't want 2 or more people being able to buy an item that is already sold ...Is this possible ??? Is there a shopping cart that will do this automatically ???? Anyone have any other ideas how to do this automatically ??? Thanks

#15 budaha

budaha

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 AM

Posted 08 April 2011 - 10:32 AM

I am a new member name is budaha
I am new to this web creation
I have already copied some links and need to get some questions answered
Can a person or company get their hosting in another country from where they live
How do I get advertising on google, yahoo and other search engines from different countries
Does the hosting company or organization accept other people or companies placing advertising on ones web page or pages
I heard that your web page can get paid for people just clicking on links with your web page
Is this true and how do one do this

that is all for now
thank every one for their help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users