Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IE 9 - not the best option?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 MarcusW

MarcusW

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 AM

Posted 20 March 2011 - 03:00 PM

Hi folks.
Here's a little bit of a problem, followed by a bit of a question for debate.
I tried IE 9 when it was still in it's beta stage, and it was considerably faster than IE 8 at the time. I've been using Chrome with a fistful of extensions (like the wonderfully aesthetically pleasing cooliris, which kicks butt - except for with Youtube searching) and adblockers and all the rest of it. So I decided to keep in mind that IE 9 would be available as a final release, and eventually got back to downloading it. It was slow as heck. Everything just hung, or didn't work or took ages. Now. Is this down to my system settings, if so what (on a Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit OS), or is this just IE 9 anyway? I've uninstalled it and gone back to Chrome (quite happily too). . . so really, I guess the whole point would be to ask which browser is best for someone with at least intermediate experience (bearing in mind I'm not too clued up about registry editing and the like - so I'm open to suggestions as to which one and why...the best one doesn't get any prizes though!

Not expecting any answers in all honesty (I've posted a few and they haven't had any replies at all), but any input here would be appreciated.
Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Bezukhov

Bezukhov

Bleepin' Jazz Fan!

• Members
  • 2,720 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 AM

Posted 20 March 2011 - 04:48 PM

I had the final release version of IE9 and wasn't that impressed. It kept hanging on some websites. But rather than go back to IE8 I am going to stick with Firefox. I'm beginning to realize that it is the most versatile browser out there. Anyways, IMHO, IE9 seems like a Chrome Clone.
To err is Human. To blame it on someone else is even more Human.

#3 Dmacf10

Dmacf10

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 AM

Posted 20 March 2011 - 04:51 PM

I'm quite happy with Chrome and don't intend on switching to any other browser in the near future. I still have the beta of IE9 so I can't comment on the full version.

#4 mrfingerz

mrfingerz

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 AM

Posted 20 March 2011 - 04:58 PM

I have been using the full IE9 for the past couple of days, it's a definite inprovement. Can't say I've had any major problems with it hanging. I think it's got some nice touches, nothing for me that hasn't been done before and done better IMHO.
I shall be sticking with Firefox personally, although I could live with IE9 if I had to.

Might be worth looking at this regarding speed problems.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ieinternals/archive/2011/02/17/ie9-benchmark-tests-and-gpu-fallback-to-software-rendering-mode.aspx

Edited by mrfingerz, 20 March 2011 - 05:08 PM.

It's nice to be important, it's much more important to be nice.

#5 MarcusW

MarcusW
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2011 - 05:35 PM

I had the final release version of IE9 and wasn't that impressed. It kept hanging on some websites. But rather than go back to IE8 I am going to stick with Firefox. I'm beginning to realize that it is the most versatile browser out there. Anyways, IMHO, IE9 seems like a Chrome Clone.

I'm sure you're not the only person to think it was a Chrome clone, because I for one was one of those other people thinking something similar.
The strangest thing about IE 9, is that when you restart the system, it did over 30000 registry edits, but on rolling back to IE 8 it only seemed to 'undo' (for want of a better word) less than that. Very suspicious behaviour there.

#6 MarcusW

MarcusW
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2011 - 06:40 PM

I have been using the full IE9 for the past couple of days, it's a definite inprovement. Can't say I've had any major problems with it hanging. I think it's got some nice touches, nothing for me that hasn't been done before and done better IMHO.
I shall be sticking with Firefox personally, although I could live with IE9 if I had to.

Might be worth looking at this regarding speed problems.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ieinternals/archive/2011/02/17/ie9-benchmark-tests-and-gpu-fallback-to-software-rendering-mode.aspx

Thanks for the informative link fingerz, but having done a bit of scouting, there isn't much in the way of testing a GPU's capacity for browser performance out there when the driver is up to date.

#7 mrfingerz

mrfingerz

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 AM

Posted 20 March 2011 - 08:57 PM

No problem.....I'm in the same boat there actually. My driver isn't 'supported' and there are no updates available.
IE9 still runs reasonably well for me though, just not as well as Firefox.

Adblocking protection (if you haven't done so already) may help....link below and configuring/disabling any other add-ons. I noticed it was regularly harassing me about addons/startup time anyway.

http://ie.microsoft.com/testdrive/Browser/TrackingProtectionLists/
It's nice to be important, it's much more important to be nice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users