Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Server 2008 R2 Foundation edition has offline files cached, clients have cached files as well, but still getting network errors

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 chromebuster

chromebuster

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  
  • Location:the crazy city of Boston, In the North East reaches of New England
  • Local time:01:43 AM

Posted 20 March 2011 - 01:25 PM

Hello all,
I just set up a file server with so far, one file share on it. I have folders for each member of my family including me, and I plan to set them up with network drives that drop them into their respective places so that no one steps on each other's toes and so that no one tries to accidentally edit the same file at the same time. My problem is that though I have set up caching for offline files on all of the clients, I cannot access the file share offline while the server is off (I had to shut it down today due to my dad helping me replace the power cord when Dell originally sent me the wrong one). This was a good time to test it, and as suspected, I got too error messages, one saying that the connection had not been restored, and the other saying that it couldn't reconnect \\katherine-serv to my S drive which is the network drive. If I have offline files enabled, shouldn't I be still granted access, it's just that the files wouldn't sync with the server while I'm not on the LAN? And to give you the information, I also enabled offline files on the server as well, so it will cache there too. I didn't however, enable branch cache since I wouldn't want to upload those files anywherre since we don't need them served from anywhere else, we just need access to them while not on my home network. Any help you folks can offer would be awesome. And please do let me know if this is something simple. Thanks.

Chromebuster

The AccessCop Network is just me and my crew. 

Some call me The Queen of Cambridge

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 chromebuster

chromebuster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2011 - 03:44 PM

Hi again,
It's been a long time. am I missing some information? I ask because no one seems to have seen this type of thing. I'm not in an Active Directory environment. Both my Windows server 2008 server and Windows 7 laptop are in the same workgroup to my knowledge. Let me know if i need to test out anything else. Thanks.

Chromebuster

#3 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2011 - 08:19 PM

You might want to look at this: Working with network files offline

I am thinking that perhaps the fies had not been synced yet and that is why they didn't show up.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#4 chromebuster

chromebuster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2011 - 08:49 PM

Maybe it's also because it's a mapped drive? maybe those don't work offline? I just looked at the link you throw out, and there's nothing about the mapping of drivees. And it didn't seem to apply to when it's a server and a client OS trying to communicate.

#5 chromebuster

chromebuster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2011 - 09:00 PM

Oh wow. ... that one's a double woopsy! Firstly, it comes to show how much of a moron I am, since I did forget to initially sync the network drive, and secondly, as my last post shows, my fingers aren't in typing mode this evening. Sorry about that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users