Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Web Page Loading Issues

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 PM

Posted 20 March 2011 - 12:18 PM

OS is Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit. If more info is needed about my system, please refer to my profile.

Over the past couple of days, I've noticed that almost all web pages take an inordinate amount of time to load. I don't believe that this is a browser-specific issue, since it happens in Opera (default browser), Firefox, Safari, and IE8. This computer runs fast - really fast. However, web pages seem to be a problem. For example, when I come here, the home page takes about 90 seconds to load completely. I've checked this in all browsers, and it's the same with all of them.

I've scanned repeatedly, and according to my security software, I'm free of any infections. Scanning with Malwarebytes and Avast, and both come up clean.

This is very strange, because the old machine never gave me this kind of issue.

Suggestions for a starting point, anyone?

Snowden03.png

~   Notorious Thread Killer   ~
Case: CoolerMaster Storm Trooper Full ATX | Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z170X | CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 8M Skylake Quad-Core | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 390X 8GB 512-Bit | PSU: EVGA 80 PLUS GOLD 850 W | RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 SDRAM [4x8GB] Audio: Integrated Creative Sound Core 3D 5.1 | Internal Storage: Samsung 2 TB HDD | Seagate 1 TB HDD | Samsung 500GB SSD [x2] | Mushkin 500GB SSD | External Storage: Seagate 2TB | Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS324 Dual Layer

Display 1: AOC I2757Fh 27" | Display 2 & 3: LG 24MP57HQ-P 24" | Operating Systems: OS 1: Windows 10 Professional | OS 2: Linux Mint Cinnamon | OS 3: Windows 7 Ultimate x-64 | Antivirus: MS Security Essentials | Firewall: Windows Firewall

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 PM

Posted 20 March 2011 - 12:29 PM

Does this happen even if the page is cached? What AV are you currently running?

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,261 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 PM

Posted 20 March 2011 - 01:08 PM

A couple of things to check.
Do a speed test. Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test

Check in process manager to see if any are using up your processor resources or hogging RAM.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2011 - 01:12 PM

Does this happen even if the page is cached? What AV are you currently running?

I'm not 100% sure what you mean.

Could you explain what your trying to ask? This will happen with a web page that I just loaded 5 minutes ago. I'll go back, and still, it takes 60 to 90 seconds to load the page.

Snowden03.png

Case: CoolerMaster Storm Trooper Full ATX | Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z170X | CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 8M Skylake Quad-Core | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 390X 8GB 512-Bit | PSU: EVGA 80 PLUS GOLD 850 W | RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 SDRAM [4x8GB] Audio: Integrated Creative Sound Core 3D 5.1 | Internal Storage: Samsung 2 TB HDD | Seagate 1 TB HDD | Samsung 500GB SSD [x2] | Mushkin 500GB SSD | External Storage: Seagate 2TB | Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS324 Dual Layer

Display 1: AOC I2757Fh 27" | Display 2 & 3: LG 24MP57HQ-P 24" | Operating Systems: OS 1: Windows 10 Professional | OS 2: Linux Mint Cinnamon | OS 3: Windows 7 Ultimate x-64 | Antivirus: MS Security Essentials | Firewall: Windows Firewall

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,552 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2011 - 01:26 PM

What I mean is does the page still take as long to load even if you have visited the same page but closed that tab or moved on to another web page. Then returned to the same page you initially opened your browser with. The first time you load the page, it 'should' be cached.

EX: Load BC home page> Load your webmail page, finish email> Return to/reload BC page. All while never closing browser.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

#6 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2011 - 08:01 PM

LOL... Thank you - I never did actually ever have a decent explanation as to what that meant... :)

That's rather random. Sometimes things will reload quickly, Returning to my content page just now took a while, even though I've just been there. At other times, reloading pages is very quick. But for the most part, no. Reloaded pages tend to come up much faster.

ETA: I've also noticed that when a page seems "stuck," if I click the stop button, then reload, it snaps right up.

Edited by MelissaPleases, 20 March 2011 - 08:28 PM.

Snowden03.png

#7 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,552 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2011 - 09:17 PM

Have you tried disabling admunch and browsing to see if thats slowing you down? Also are your admunch definitions up to date? The randomness makes it a little more difficult to plan a strategy.

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

#8 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2011 - 06:22 AM

Well, I hadn't, but I just tried it, and it's the same thing, so I don't think Admunch has anything to do with this.

It's crazy - I initially thought perhaps it was just slow connection, but it's too random to be that.

Snowden03.png

#9 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,552 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2011 - 12:30 PM

I didn't think it would, but it was one of the easier processes of elimination steps to try. Random is a pain.... Let me think here.

If anyone else, reading this thread, has some ideas, please chime in here. I by no means know everything about what could be causing this issue. I'm very open to suggestions. I learn here too. :wink:

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

#10 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 PM

Posted 21 March 2011 - 12:33 PM

Boot to safe mode with networking. Does the same thing happen there?

#11 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2011 - 01:51 PM

No. In safe mode, everything is fine.

Snowden03.png

#12 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 PM

Posted 21 March 2011 - 01:57 PM

Okay. Let's try this:
Open msconfig and choose selective startup (disable everything from loading) and reboot. Does the problem still occur? If not, start adding items back to msconfig one or two at a time, rebooting after each change, until the problem reappears and you'll have identified the offending process.

#13 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2011 - 09:51 AM

Okies - sorry for the delay in posting this.

Using selective startup, with only Windows services loading at boot, the problem persists.

Could this possibly have something to do with my internet connection? I just switched from DSL to cable (FINALLY!!!), and that seems to coincide with when this problem began. I also have no problems with any sort of delay or slow loading of anything that is not online.

Snowden03.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users