Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 installation question...

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mjl1297

mjl1297

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 AM

Posted 20 March 2011 - 12:17 PM

I have a copy of Windows 7 Ultimate that I would like to install on my computer. The thing is that I already have Windows XP Professional installed on my primary drive and I wish to keep it and install Windows 7 on one of my other hard drives. I've dual and triple booted OSs in the past so I'm not unfamiliar with this sort of thing but I always installed them on the primary hard drive. I don't want both OSs resident on the same hard drive in this instance. Can anyone advise or point me to a guide online how to do this and how to edit the bootloader after the installation so I don't lose my connection to the old OS? I've googled for this very thing but no real luck on a detailed procedure. Many thanks!

Edited by mjl1297, 20 March 2011 - 12:32 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 AM

Posted 20 March 2011 - 12:36 PM

Assuming you are talking about internal drives it's no different from any other installation. Just boot to the W7 DVD and choose the location to which you want to install it. No need to do anything else. Windows 7 installer will see XP and adjust the bootloader accordingly.

#3 mjl1297

mjl1297
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 AM

Posted 20 March 2011 - 04:19 PM

Ahh okay so Win 7 has no issues booting from a hard drive other than the primary one then?

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 AM

Posted 20 March 2011 - 04:25 PM

The system files remain on the primary partition - that's all that matters. In the simplest possible terms, the bios starts, looks to the cmos, which looks for the master boot record on the primary partition. The boot loader then takes over and loads the system files and the OS.

Edited by Allan, 20 March 2011 - 04:41 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users