Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP DV5000 laptop will not boot into ANYTHING from any boot device. Crashes then reboots

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 lun7200

lun7200

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 PM

Posted 20 March 2011 - 08:29 AM

Like the title says the laptop will not boot into anything. It was originally running Windows XP but started crashing. Tried to wipe any malware and virues but the crashes kept occurring. Decided to reinstall OS but still continued to crash. Installed Ubuntu but the crashes continued, I thought it could be a HDD problem but eventually the computer reached a point where it would not boot into anything. For example if I insert the Ubuntu live CD the disc would seem as if it was about to boot but the computer would crash right before it would actually boot into any GUI. If I tried to run Gparted it would take me through the different selections screens but right before it would actually boot into their GUI the computer would again crash and restart, if I tried to boot via USB the same would occur. The only thing I was actually able to run was memtest86 but my guess is that it was able to run memtest86 because that does not have a GUI , and rather resemble BIOS setup menus. (by the way memtest did not find any RAM errors) Whenever I try to boot into windows from the HDD the windows xp logo appears for a few seconds before the computer crashes and restarts. After selecting to not automatically restart after crash I get the following bsod code: STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF79E5524,0xC0000034,0x00000000,0x00000000) which is a boot device error code. I think this might have something to do with the BIOS booting into anything. the problem is not with the actual boot devices but rather with the actual boot procedure. What do you guys think and what can I try to attempt and fix this.

Computer Specs:
HP DV5220us
Intel Centrino Duo T2050 @ 1.60GHz
1024MB Memory
128MB Video Memory
Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950

EDIT: Forgot to add that sometimes after the computer crashes and restarts, the next cycle displays an offset picture. For example, the left edge of the picture on the screen would start about 3 inches inward and the right edge of the picture is would be cut and the missing portion of the right edge (the cut off part) appears to the left of the left edge of the picture (the left edge being 3 inches inward)...sounds kind of confusing i know so if the entire picture was the word |windows| the distortion would make it says |ws |windo|

Edited by lun7200, 20 March 2011 - 08:52 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users