Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

tracking cookies

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 curly1880

curly1880

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 AM

Posted 23 October 2004 - 05:22 PM

i ran Ad- aware 6.0 and i keep getting a cookies called a tracking cookie

data- Miner
Obj Type- File
Size-35 bytes
location-c:\... \family member\cookies\family membr@z1.adserver [1]. txt

everytime i run this program i delated it and it comes back again and again any ideas or help is wanted thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 AM

Posted 23 October 2004 - 06:56 PM

A couple things come to mind, Curly1880

1. Ad-aware has a Personal SE 1.05 out, and its on it's (?) definition file update, I just downloaded SE1R14 22.10.2004. Use it, I'd say.

2. Sometimes with multiple users, running Ad-aware and Spybot both need to be done logged on as each of the users to do the trick. (kinda like cleaning more than 1 PC, and a hassle, but neccessary) The culprit may not be operating out of a "global setting" that effects the entire machine, but from an individual user's temp file or something like that. The effect is the same if it loads the cookie at each re-boot, though.

Also, go in Safe Mode, use Start-->Run--> type in %temp% and delete everything in all user's temp Folder. Folders, too. They will be set up again at reboot and files will fill them back in as time goes by. (Checking on HJT logs can lead you to the devil's doorstep so to speak & you should do it in Firefox, not IE for best protection). And go to Internet Settings and clean disc... all temporary internet files offline content & cookies. (all disks if you have more than one)

(that can be done by typing cleanmgr in the box at "start-->run" and following the prompts in the dialog box)

Then try running the latest updated anti-spyware programs.

Data-mining tracking cookies are not the worst of the critters... you can operate the machine without any compromise in performance... but it is your privacy. The "negligable risk" category in Personal 1.05 deals with MRU's & "settings" in the Spybot S&D advanced menu deal with them a little more fully.

Edited by phawgg, 23 October 2004 - 07:00 PM.

patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users