Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virtumonde virus removed, but lasting effects

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 colzdad

colzdad

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 AM

Posted 20 March 2011 - 05:27 AM

hello!

A friend of mine referred me to this site for help. About one month ago, I got a message from my ISP that I had a botnet virus and they shut down my internet for a few hours. I eventually reformatted the pc (at the urging of my ISP) and everything seemed fine. I also have a laptop that I ran Malwarebytes which found the Virtumonde virus. I deleted the files. Again, everything seemed fine until I took my laptop to work with me.

first of all, I work nights at a hospital in the surgery dept. Sometimes we are very slow and I would get on Netflix and watch movies. After getting rid of the virus, my laptop will no longer connect to Netflix or Veetle at work. They work fine at home, but at work the sites just continually load. A friend suggest I ping Netflix, which I did and it gave me this info...

pinging www.netflix.com (208.75.76.17) with 32 bytes of data

reply from (ip address): Destination net unreachable

it does the above four times, then says

Ping statistics for 208.75.76.17:

Packets: sent = 4, received = 4, lost = 0 (0% loss)

Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:

Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms , Average: = 0ms

Now the network at work does have a filter, but two other co-workers are able to connect to netflix with no problems. Also, I can connect to Netflix on a company pc, but don't really want to watch Netflix on a company pc. I've brought this subject up to several people aand they are split between the IT department blocking me (to which I do not get any kind of notice) to the virus is still infecting my laptop but it is so rooted that Malwarebytes and other virus programs cannot remove it. Someone suggested I download ComboFix, but when I download it, during setup it tells me "You cannot rename comboFix1" When I am not trying to rename it, I'm just trying to install it.Then it just shuts down (the installation).

Sorry to be so long winded, but I'd really appreciate any help I can get before my last resort, which is to reformat the laptop. The laptop is running Windows XP Professional SP3.

Thanks

Edited by colzdad, 20 March 2011 - 05:29 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 AM

Posted 20 March 2011 - 08:16 AM

To be sure that you are not infected I would suggest that you follow the instructions in This Guide starting at Step 6.

Once the proper logs are created, then make a NEW TOPIC and post it HERE Please include a description of your computer issues and what you have done to try to resolve them.

Please be patient as this is a popular forum for those requesting this type of help.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users