Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

how to reload data withou re-infection

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Beth102

Beth102

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 AM

Posted 19 March 2011 - 11:28 PM

OK I did the clean install...it was great-then the computer went wacky and monitor blew! Went to computer store computer worked fine with monitor so I bought one. But I had thought I had re-infected my computer because I reloaded some data. We scanned with Malwarebytes at the computer store it came up clean. Now I have more data I want to put back on my computer...I GOT DATA OFF ONTO DVDS WHILE INFECTED so question is how do I reload that data back in and how can I be sure that it is clean from the root kit infection "XP Total Security" malware?

Edited by Budapest, 20 March 2011 - 04:42 PM.
Moved from Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs ~BP

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,704 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 AM

Posted 26 March 2011 - 07:39 PM

Hello.

Stay away from the following file types.

• .exe
  • .scr
  • .htm
  • .html
  • .xml
  • .zip
  • .rar

Hope that helps

~Blade

Posted Image

If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook
Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

#3 Beth102

Beth102
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2011 - 08:52 PM

Thanks. Yes I did NOT copy any exe files I had a directory full of them....and it's been hard to find all those programs again....I don't know why I cannot download anything from http://www.download.com run by CNET. My friend told me this is a safe place to get programs, but for 3 days I can't get in there. Are there safe places to get downloads? I am interested in free programs or trial programs.

#4 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,704 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2011 - 02:08 AM

Hello.

This might be of interest to you.

Commonly Used Freeware Replacements

Edited by Blade Zephon, 27 March 2011 - 02:08 AM.

Posted Image

If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

#5 Beth102

Beth102
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2011 - 04:41 PM

I am disgusted. 3rd time I did clean install of windows xp now the problem is I cannot remove Norton Util 2006 it says I need admin acct with Norton therefore I cannot install my Spy Doctor + Antivirus. I ran scan with many things but spybot came up with Wild Tangent pups. I have been very careful where I go and if I got infection perhaps I got confused with saved software like superantispy and malwarebytes....on disk...but I believe I got these NEW at sites where they originated.
I unplugged xp machine from internet. Not sure what to do next because maybe I am just paranoid. I want to get machine working I need my life back.
I am typing from a ASUS Netbook that is in windows 7. I am connecting to wireless on my router but it is not set up and I am not now connected to xp machine. When I get xp machine fixed for sure, verizon will help me set up wireless, however, I want Netbook to be protected from xp machine so if one gets infected the other does NOT. Is there a way to do that without paying another expensive internet fee? If there is something wrong with one computer I want to be able to get online with another one that is the whole point. My Netbook has that N wireless...Right now I am waiting for new modem/router from Verizon which will allow wireless to work as mine is old and not working. I don'tknow enough about wireless how can I protect my Netbook separate from the other machine? If I get 2 infected machines at same time I really could not take it I am over the top with this. Any advice much appreciated.

Edited by Beth102, 05 April 2011 - 04:45 PM.

#6 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,704 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2011 - 08:00 AM

Hello.

Alright. . . one thing at a time here.

now the problem is I cannot remove Norton Util 2006

Check out this post for information on how to get rid of Norton Products.

Let me know if you continue to have difficulty getting rid of Norton.

Once Norton is gone we can address the next issue.

~Blade

Edited by Blade Zephon, 06 April 2011 - 08:00 AM.

Posted Image

Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users