Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Another impossible mission?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 millipede

millipede

• Members
  • 670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 PM

Posted 19 March 2011 - 05:38 PM

Just the other week, I was working on a computer for my friend... a project that I spent a lot of time on and never resolved the issues. Very disappointing...
While I was talking to him during that process, I found out his mom's computer wasn't working so well.....
This was an older computer that I had helped setup for, well for his grandmother really but she didn't keep it long.
I had upgraded it from 64 to 256mb or ram, to get an idea of how old it is...
Anyway, I went to look at it the other week and it was SOOOOOO SLOW. Was ridiculous and some things weren't working completely. I know, it's old... but, it was working better before...
Anyway... I told her I had a spare computer I could give her that I was certain would be better... WAS now being the operative word. :(
I finally pulled it out of the closet the other day... ack... I'm not sure anything about this thing now.

This past July, someone my mom knows gave her a computer to give to us. Apparently he fixes up computers to give to people. (my mom lives 1500+ miles from here)
Upon returning home, we left it in our van for a while... how long? I don't recall. Some things I just can't remember. But, it was summer... and it was hot... Not sure if that did anything to the computer but, it's one variable...
next we have the closet. My wife got tired of seeing it wherever I had placed it and it got moved to the closet. Our closet that is more or less on the other side of our master bathroom. It got buried... clothes and other items that got stored in there.
Anyway... I went to turn it on... wanted to check out the specs and get it ready. It started to boot...
But...
Nothing shows up on the screen. Tried two monitors so far. On top of that... the fans start up. Then, they hang for a moment... then, it all gets going again. Because nothing shows up on the screen I eventually just push and hold the power button to shut it off.
Specs? I'm not entirely sure. The front, or face of the tower says compaq. So does the power supply. But the top and back of the case say HP. I'm thinking, this was put together with spare parts.
The power supply is only 220 watts. I'm not sure what this thing requires but I'm used to 250 or 300 at least.
I'm not in the mood for this really... but, I offered and would like to give her something that works better than what she has. My problem now is... do I bother with this one? I'm looking at it, just wondering... is it worth messing with... or, should I pull out another spare from the same closet that might also not be working at this point? hmmm....
I was SO ready for an easy task...... what was I thinking........

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 PM

Posted 19 March 2011 - 06:18 PM

Since it has been setting for a while and moved around quite a bit I would do two simple things to see if it works. First is generally clean out the PC with some compressed air. Then I would remove the memory sticks and reseat them, remove the add-in cards and reseat them, check all of the electrical connections, and finally check all of the drive connections. Also when you start it up leave off the side panel so you can visually insoect the fans to be sure they are all functioning correctly.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users