Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Changing hard coded folder

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Nate279

Nate279

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 AM

Posted 19 March 2011 - 04:51 PM

Hi, First – thank you for whatever help you can offer on this matter.

I have an ebook reader that connects to my computer via usb – no wireless. I wish to borrow ebooks from my local library that makes an ebook borrowing service available. They have chosen to set their system up so that you need to use Adobe Digital Editions (sometimes referred to as ADE on the net) to download and access their books. Without wireless access, I need to be able to download these books through my desktop computer. That would normally work easily, but in this case – the digital rights management on the library’s files require that it be used on the device that downloads it. Adobe further complicates this process by hard coding the file that ADE downloads the book to. I have combed Adobe’s forums looking for a solution and think I may have found one. It uses a utility from Microsoft.com called junction and it creates junction points in an NTFS file system. It is the fourth listed posting from an inactive user called freddycat on http://forums.adobe.com/thread/315116?tstart=0 . I downloaded Sysinternals and ran the file called “junction” and then tried to follow his example adjusting for my own file locations. My computer refuses to recognize what I am trying to enter. I have no understanding of how to communicate with the computer through the command prompt and need help to know what I am doing wrong. Maybe the forum posting is even incorrect, I know there are no guarantees when a person tries to use such information.

What he wrote was as follows: In my situation I only had to type the following at a command prompt: C:\Program Files\Sysinternals> junction "d:\My Digital Editions" "g:\library\adobe digital editions"

I downloaded Sysinternals to "C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\Downloads\sysinternals"

The folder that Adobe hard coded into the ADE program is "C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\My Digital Editions"

And the folder that I am using for a test until I am ready to try this with my ereader is "D:\library\adobe digital editions" My D drive is a harddrive used for data storage only – no Operating System.

Can you help with this?

Thank you,
Nathan Ball

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Nate279

Nate279
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2011 - 04:53 PM

Hi again,

Sorry my system is XP Home Edition with my C Drive formatted to NTFS.

Nathan Ball

#3 Nate279

Nate279
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2011 - 11:09 AM

Please cancel this topic. I have given up on this technology. Either too many problems or too restrictive.

Thank you,
Nathan Ball

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,278 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 AM

Posted 20 March 2011 - 02:31 PM

Sorry for your disappointment, thanks for posting your decision, happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users