Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to update graphics?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mmkess

mmkess

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 PM

Posted 19 March 2011 - 04:42 PM

Hello. I have a Gateway pc that has a custom manufacturer graphics driver from Intel. I can't play some games on my pc and I want to get a better graphics/video card or whatever it is that I need for my pc. Gateway will not help me and Intel says installing a generic driver in place of my custom manufacturer driver can cause performance and compatability issues. What I'm looking for is a list of the latest and best products I can buy that are compatible with my pc. Below is a description of the problem from System Requirements Lab (why I can't play the game)and then a list of specifications for my pc (which is all Gateway would provide). Any help would be really appreciated.

Video Card
Minimum: 128 MB 3D Video Card - Supported chipsets: NVIDIA GeForce FX 5900 or greater; ATI Radeon 9600 or greater; onboard chipsets not supported. Windows Vista requires an NVIDIA GeForce 6800 or greater, ATI Radeon X600 or greater. Laptop versions of these chipsets may work but are not supported.
You Have: Intel® 82945G Express Chipset Family
Upgrade Suggested: Unfortunately, your Video Card does not meet this requirement. Click here to see some recommendations.
Features: Minimum attributes of your Video Card
Required You Have

Video RAM 128 MB 224.0 MB
3D Yes Yes
Hardware T&L Yes No
Pixel Shader version 2.0 2.0
Vertex Shader version 2.0 2.0a

Processor Intelฎ Core™2 Duo E4300, Dual Core processor
• Each core operates at 1.8 GHz
• Shared 2 MB L2 cache
• 800 MHz front side bus
Chipset Intel 945G chipset (Viiv™ capable)
Memory • Installed: 2048 MB DDR2, 533 MHz, (PC4200) dual channel memory (two 1024 MB DIMMs)
• Expandable to: 4 GB (4 DDR2 DIMM slots)
Hard Drive 320 GB, 7200 RPM, SATA II hard drive
Support for up to two hard drives
Optical Drive DVD ฑRW, 16X multi-format dual layer drive
• Write max: 16X DVDฑR, 6X DVD-RW, 8X DVD+RW, 4X DVD+R DL, 40X CD-R, 24X CD-RW
• Read max: 16X DVD-ROM, 40X CD-ROM
Media Card Reader 15-in-1 high speed digital media manager supporting the following:
• Compact Flash (CF) I, II
• IBM Microdrive™ (MD)
• SmartMedia Card (SMC)
• Memory Stick™ (MS)
• Memory Stick Duo (MS Duo)
• Memory Stick PRO (MS PRO)
• Memory Stick PRO Duo (MS PRO Duo)
• Secure Digital™ (SD)
• Mini Secure Digital (MiniSD)
• Multi Media Card (MMC)
• RS Multi Media Card (RS-MMC) (need adapter)
• Multi Media Plus Card (MMC Plus)
• Multi Media Mobile Card (MMC Mobile)
• xD-Picture Card™ (xD)
Video Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950
Up to 224 MB shared video memory
Audio Integrated 8-Channel (7.1) High Definition Audio
Network Support Integrated Intel 10/100 Mbps Ethernet LAN
Modem 56K ITU V.92 ready fax/modem
Power Supply 300 watt
Add-in Card Slots • One PCI Express ื16 (graphics interface)
• One PCI Express ื1
• Two PCI conventional
External Connectors • One PS/2 keyboard port
• One PS/2 mouse port
• One VGA monitor port
• One parallel port
• One serial port
• Six USB ports (four rear, two front)
• Two IEEE 1394a port (one rear, one front)
• One RJ-45 Ethernet LAN port
• Seven audio jacks (five rear, two front)
• One S/PDIF optical audio port
Drive Bays Five total:
• Two external 5.25-inch
• One external 3.5-inch (with a docking bay for optional Gateway 2.5-inch removable USB hard drive)
• Two internal 3.5-inch (hard drive)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 millipede

millipede

• Members
  • 617 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 AM

Posted 19 March 2011 - 05:15 PM

I'm not entirely sure what "a custom manufacturer graphics driver from Intel" is. But...
I'm not sure why intel would say this "Intel says installing a generic driver in place of my custom manufacturer driver can cause performance and compatability issues"
What do they mean by generic? Generic as in not intel or gateway or as in, not name brand at all?
It sounds like the computer has only on board graphics. Just about anything would be better than that.

Add-in Card Slots • One PCI Express ื16 (graphics interface)
• One PCI Express ื1
• Two PCI conventional

Those are the slots you have available on your motherboard. It doesn't seem like any are being used but, you'd want to make sure. After that, find a graphics card that is compatible with one of those and with your budget.
As far as specifics, I don't know enough about graphics cards to say whether or not there'd be incompatibilities. Hopefully someone else has thoughts on that. I wouldn't think there would be as big a deal as intel made it sound but I really don't know.
While you're looking around though, and waiting for answers, check with what games you play and what they might require.
I used to play secondlife a lot and I got by with a bit less than they said I would be able to... but, things DO work better when you have something better to work with.
Duh, I'm reading your post a little better... that was all from the game. On board graphics are not supported at all? That stinks. Many people end up not playing games because of stuff like that. For some, upgrading is well worth it. Not so much to others.

What it all comes down to is this...

NVIDIA GeForce FX 5900 or greater; ATI Radeon 9600 or greater;
Windows Vista requires an NVIDIA GeForce 6800 or greater, ATI Radeon X600 or greater.

Does that mean to play that game, if you're using vista, then the second requirements are in effect? I'm guessing.
The easy part is finding graphics cards that meet those requirements, or better. You can shop for them just about anywhere.
I could be wrong, but I think the numbers go up as the quality goes up. GeForce FX 5900 would be better than the 5200 for example... and on up.

Personally I would think you could just pick on out, make sure it fits one of the open slots you have, and buy it... but that comment from intel puzzles me.
Eh... I'm not sure now why I replied. This is just my thoughts. I hope someone else can be more definitive. I wouldn't want you to buy something and have it not work.

#3 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 AM

Posted 19 March 2011 - 06:22 PM

I need a true list of what is in your PC in order to give any relevant advice. Once you run the tool and post your log I can give you some suggestions as to what your PC can be upgraded to.

• Go to Piriform's website, and click the big Posted Image button. Next, click Download from Piriform.com (the FileHippo link requires an extra click). Or if you want to use a portable version of Speccy (which doesn't require installation), click the builds page link and download the portable version. You will now be asked where you want to save the file. The best place to put it is the Desktop, as it will be easy to find later.
  • After the file finishes downloading, you are ready to run Speccy. If you downloaded the installer, simply double-click on it and follow the prompts until installation is complete. If you downloaded the portable version, you will need to unzip it before use. Right-click the ZIP file and click Extract all. Click Next. Open up the extracted folder and double-click on Speccy.
  • Once inside Speccy, it will look similar to this (with your computer's specifications, of course):

Posted Image

Now, at the top, click File > Publish Snapshot You will see the following prompt:

Posted Image

Click Yes , then Copy to Clipboard

Posted Image

Now, right-click on any empty space in your reply box and click Paste.

You have just posted your specs!

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#4 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 AM

Posted 19 March 2011 - 06:47 PM

Also you need to specify your budget for the graphics card.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#5 Bill253

Bill253

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 AM

Posted 20 March 2011 - 03:08 PM

The other consideration to installing a new graphics card is power. Many of the new graphics cards require more power than the original computer power supply (PSU) can provide, thus requiring a new/upgraded PSU as well. It's a fairly easy task, but adds to the total cost. Just something to consider... the graphics card specs should give a power requirement.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users