Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Boot Menu

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 codsmith

codsmith

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 AM

Posted 24 December 2005 - 11:17 PM

I am trying to update my bios on a dell 5100 inspiron notebook and I have a problem. I have the file already on burned as an ISO on a disk like it says, but I can not get to the boot menu to tell it to run the CD-Rom drive first. I keep pressin F2 like it says but it will never go there. It will go to the safe mode menu fine, but it will not go to the system utilities menu. Any ideas on how to get there or fix it so I can access to menu to set the CD drive to startup before the hard drive.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 codsmith

codsmith
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2005 - 11:18 PM

notifiy

#3 Bobang

Bobang

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 AM

Posted 25 December 2005 - 06:51 AM

Perhaps you could get in by using the command provided by the manufacturer of the BIOS.Perhaps that helps.

Bobang

in all things be men

#4 codsmith

codsmith
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2005 - 02:05 PM

I have the phoenix bios and I tried all the configurations that were listed but nothing worked. It just keeps booting from the hard drive first and I cant get to the menu to change it.

#5 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 AM

Posted 25 December 2005 - 02:54 PM

You rapidly and repeatedly tap F2 from the time you reboot?
It takes a bit of practice to get any PC to open in the bios screen.
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#6 codsmith

codsmith
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2005 - 06:29 PM

yeah, I rapidly tap the F2 button and it just starts up with XP pro normally. I have accessed that menu once in the past, so I know it can be done on this computer but it is not working anymore. Are there any programs I should download and logs I need to post or use the win XP CD to install something to get to it? I have no idea.

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 AM

Posted 25 December 2005 - 07:42 PM

You should have a small hole with a reset button inside of it, usual locate near the ON/OFF switch. You will need an ink pen to push it. Remove the main battery and then hold down the reset button for 1 minute. This should clear the system BIOS. This will only may a different if for some reason the BIOS need to be reset.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#8 codsmith

codsmith
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2005 - 09:53 PM

I have the dell inspiron 5100 and I can not find the reset button anywhere. By doing this, will it allow me to get to the system utilities.

#9 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2005 - 10:03 PM

If your computer was working right it should when you press F2 as you start the computer. This may or may not work. In a desk top I would recommend pulling the motherboard battery to rest the BIOS. You cannot get to the BIOS battery in a notebook. The reset button should be on the side of the notebook. Please check all four sides.

#10 codsmith

codsmith
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2005 - 11:42 PM

I fixed it by pulling out the hard drive and firing it up with the CD containing the ISO and it booted from there and solved my problem.

#11 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2005 - 12:20 AM

:thumbsup: I must admit I would not have thought of that. You win the fuzzy puppy award for using your brain. Way to go. :flowers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users