Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Media Player, Explorer.exe, Folder with large amounts of .avis

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 JacobHall

JacobHall

• Members
  • 300 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 PM

Posted 19 March 2011 - 03:13 PM

Hello there,

I have a problem on my computer where when I goto a folder with a large amount of .avi files, it crashes explorer.exe. I researched on google, people had the same problem and the way they fixed was by deleting windows media player, however I need windows media player to stream my videos to the xbox.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 PM

Posted 19 March 2011 - 03:25 PM

You could always split them into sub folders so there are less files present at once.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 JacobHall

JacobHall
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 300 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2011 - 03:36 PM

http://image.bayimg.com/oaehfaadi.jpg

That as it is crashed.

I also tried stopping windows media player from thinking its the default program for .avis, it seems to have completely ignored it. :(

Edited by Super Panda, 19 March 2011 - 03:37 PM.

#4 master131

master131

• Members
  • 366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 AM

Posted 19 March 2011 - 04:42 PM

explorer is crashing because you have too many AVIs and it is trying to generate thumbnails for them. Have you installed any codec packs such as K-Lite Codec Pack or something simillar? Make sure you disable video thumbnails so it doesn't crash. You can normally find the option to disable it inside the Start Menu somewhere like for K-Lite Codec Pack, it's in Start Menu > All Programs > K-Lite Codec Pack > Codec Tweak Tool.

Edited by master131, 19 March 2011 - 04:42 PM.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2011 - 05:49 PM

I don't think that the number of files...has anything to do with the crashes.

I have a ton of media files (.avi, .mpeg/.mpg) stored on various partitions in multiple folders exceeding 1TB...I've never known Explorer to crash, regardless of what my view options may be, at the moment.

IMO, chances are that you either a corrupt file in said folder...which can cause the system to freeze/crash, IME...or you have a malware possibility. Especially so if said crashes don't occur on every folder with media files.

FWIW: WMP is the default player for all media files, unless something else is elected as the default. In order to elect a different player...you need to install one. Have you installed an alternate player...and tried to use it on your files?

Louis

#6 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2011 - 05:49 PM

With standard windows tools you can go to a folder that doesn't crash. Set the view to tiles, then go Tools-Folder Options- View and choose apply to all folders. The only down side is if you want to use thumbnails somewhere else you will have to individually set the other folders.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#7 JacobHall

JacobHall
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 300 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2011 - 05:56 AM

Sorry for the bump,

I found out it was Windows trying to generate a tumbnail for each video at once, and because Explorer was working far too much it crashed. A few others have had this problem around the internet, and it seems to have been fixed within Windows 7, so I am fine now,

Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users