Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Any Avg Antivirus Experts Here?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jerseydevil

jerseydevil

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 AM

Posted 24 December 2005 - 10:35 PM

Last night i downloaded and ran avg's free antivirus program. Today I am experiencing some strange stuff with my pc. I am wondering if I restore everything from the virus vault, will it return things to the way they were? I didn't make the back up disk because I didn't think it would change everything like it did (if it is to blame, but I don't see anything else to blame) I didn't think I had any viruses, I just wanted protection and to see if any existed. Well, I need help with this and really appreciate all that I get here. JD :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 tiredtogo

tiredtogo

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 AM

Posted 24 December 2005 - 11:05 PM

I have recovered from a few problems with system restore.
Try going to system restore and restore you're PC to an earlier time. You might lose some minor programs you have down loaded, but if you lose to much it let's you go back and cancel that restore point. Then you can try another restore date. I usually do a disk scan first and delete the tempory iternet files then do a system restore. Also if you know how you can do the system restore in safe mode, but you don't have to. I think :thumbsup: system restore is one of the best programs in windows, I know its helped me when nothing I'd tried would.

#3 dannyboy 950

dannyboy 950

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2005 - 12:31 AM

I am a long time free AVG user and have seldom had a problem useing the product.
What sort of behavior exactly are you haveing. Any error codes?

The AVG forum is here http://forum.grisoft.cz/freeforum/ for more help

#4 ComputerWhizz7

ComputerWhizz7

• Members
  • 408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 PM

Posted 25 December 2005 - 03:30 AM

I also am a long-time AVG Free user and have had no problems at all.

How many anti-virus programs are you running? Because other anti-virus programs may interfair with AVG and cause it to not run correctly.
I came, I saw, I conquered. - Julius Caeser

#5 jerseydevil

jerseydevil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2005 - 08:30 AM

Hello all, Merry Christmas!
Thanks for the timely responses. I noticed a few problems like this. I own a 80 gig external hard drive that I use to store music on. I keep each show in it's own folder. Many of the folders are empty now when I open them. Some folders are gone completely. Some seem to come and go. The drive still reads 76 gigs used so the files are there somewhere but can't be accessed for some reason.
The next issue is when ever I click on a drive in my computer, I am directed to the file search window instead of the drive I clicked. This is an old problem that I downloaded a fix for a while ago, but I guess the av program saw this as mal code and vaulted it ? I am sure I can fix this again and I am gonna hook up the external drive to a different pc and see if the files are accessable.
Thanks again for responding today and I'll post any further info needed or if I find any other problems.
Happy Hollidays to all.

Edited by jerseydevil, 25 December 2005 - 08:40 AM.

#6 jerseydevil

jerseydevil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2005 - 01:48 PM

:thumbsup: OK I was able to locate my old post and redownload the fix for the "drive leads to search" issue.
I still need help with the missing or invisible file in my external hard drive. Anyone know anything about this? As I said, The files are still there but sometimes they don't show up when I try to access them, othertimes they do show up. Sometimes I click the drive from my comp, and no folders show up, othertimes they do but the subfolders are mssing. sometimes I get the icons for pics, but when I switch to thumb view, nothing happens. It is wierd.see yall later. JD

#7 jerseydevil

jerseydevil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2006 - 02:04 PM

Hello again, First of all, I can't get system restore to work. I choose a date and it seems to be running then it says it can't restore to that date.??? I have not tried it in safe mode though.

As far as behavior goes I can view file icons in folders when I first plug in my external hard drive but within minutes, the icons dissapear and after a few more minutes the folders themselves dissapear. Sometimes I can see the thumbnail view for photos and sometimes just the program icon for my viewing program. The drives properties say it is still just as full as before this started.

Dannyboy, are you asking about error codes from AVG or my OS?

I was running one AV program AVG free. I used to run norton but after I upgraded to xp it stopped working so i uninstalled it but could not reinstall because it says I still have some remnants from the first install.???

I am going to check out the Grisoft site asp.
Anymore advice?

Edited by jerseydevil, 09 January 2006 - 02:05 PM.

#8 keepoo

keepoo

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2006 - 02:15 PM

Hello again, First of all, I can't get system restore to work. I choose a date and it seems to be running then it says it can't restore to that date.??? I have not tried it in safe mode though.

As far as behavior goes I can view file icons in folders when I first plug in my external hard drive but within minutes, the icons dissapear and after a few more minutes the folders themselves dissapear. Sometimes I can see the thumbnail view for photos and sometimes just the program icon for my viewing program. The drives properties say it is still just as full as before this started.

Dannyboy, are you asking about error codes from AVG or my OS?

I was running one AV program AVG free. I used to run norton but after I upgraded to xp it stopped working so i uninstalled it but could not reinstall because it says I still have some remnants from the first install.???

I am going to check out the Grisoft site asp.
Anymore advice?

Well..what i think is your computer is being infected by worm...mine too...what i do is update the AVG virus deifinition and start scanning all over again...u might found the worm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users