Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell monitor and acer pc-compatible?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 humblerthanhumble

humblerthanhumble

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 AM

Posted 19 March 2011 - 02:26 PM

Have dell 21" monitor (7 yrs old) to attach to recently purchased acer aspire ax3910. Connector interface from old dell computer to monitor is not on the acer.
there is a usb and several other interfaces on the acer. Tried another connector and nothing happens-no screen etc. W/7 is supposed to be loaded on acer.

I tried loading the dell monitor disk and again-it wouldn't load. Should I try a usb interface? I don't want to damage the equipment. Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Bill253

Bill253

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 AM

Posted 19 March 2011 - 08:45 PM

Hello humblerthanhumble, :welcome: to BC.

According to these specs your Acer has both an HDMI and a VGA (aka D-sub) video output.

"HDMI port for connecting to a compatible HDTV or home theater receiver for uncompressed digital audio and video via a single cable. Also includes standard analog VGA video output. "

So while you should be able to connect this to a HD TV with an HDMI input (using a HDMI cable), what you really want to accomplish is connecting it to the Dell monitor - if I read you right. I would expect the 7 year old dell 21" monitor to have a VGA (analog) input, but suppose it's possible that it has a DV-I (digital) input. A VGA cable should look like this while a DV-I connector would look like this .

The model number of the Dell monitor (should be on a tag on the back) would be helpful in looking up what type of input connector the monitor has.

The USB connectors won't be of any use. Your best bet (if the monitor has a DVI input) is probably a HDMI to DVI cable such as one of these to connect the new Acer's HDMI to your older Dell monitor.

Regards,
Bill253

Edited by Bill253, 19 March 2011 - 08:46 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users