Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

cannot open files stored on 4GB Kingston jump drive

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 lzaidel

lzaidel

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 PM

Posted 19 March 2011 - 12:37 PM

Hello experts,
Yesterday, I was able to access and use the files on my jump drive, and the total contents of the jump drive occupied around 3GB. But, today when I plugged in my 4GB Kingston jump drive into a usb port on my Inspiron 5100 the files seem damaged. I can no longer double click on and access the files--when I try. The icon for the jump drive shows up among all the other hard drives in My Computer System Folder. Under details for the jump drive, it does say "Removable Disk File System: FAT32" as it should. However, next to the icon, instead of the original name of the hard drive ("Unnamed") it now reads nonsense gibberish characters "ⁿ░àÖ½¼Ωú■╓".

When I double click on the jump drive icon, it does show a list of files with similar gibberish nonsensical characters like ".╖lrq║╪.$p∞" of size 0kb. Additional files include ones that are titled ".fseventsd", ".Trashes", and ".Spotlight-V100".

Is there a way to fix this jump drive and recover the files on it? It would go a really long way if anyone who has insight into this could provide guidance on how to do this.

Please let me know if there is any additional information I can provide to help.

Thank you very much in advance.

Edited by lzaidel, 19 March 2011 - 12:44 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,629 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2011 - 02:16 PM

1) Have you tried the drive on a different system?
2) When you removed the drive yesterday, did you use the "safely remove hardware" wizard?

#3 lzaidel

lzaidel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2011 - 04:19 PM

Hi Allan,
1) I have tried it on 2 other computers as well, a Windows XP and a Mac. The same result occurred, namely that nonsense characters appear as the title name of the jump drive as well as the titles of files that are inside the jump drive.

Here are two screen shots, the first of the system folder of My Computer including drive "J" which is the jump drive with the problems; and the second of the contents of drive "J"

My link

My link

2) I can't remember exactly, but I may have removed the jump drive prematurely yesterday and did not use the "safely remove hardware" wizard as I should have. Another possibility is that while I had files open on the jump drive, I left the computer for a little while, and in the meantime, the computer restarted automatically after the computer automatically updated system files.

Is there still a chance for me to access the files on the jump drive? If so, how might I do it?

Thank you in advance.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,629 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2011 - 04:28 PM

I rarely use "safely remove", but I'm always aware of the potential consequences. I'm really not sure what happened to your files - I doubt anyone could be at this point. The only thing I can suggest is that you try Recuva (http://www.piriform.com/recuva). If anything can retrieve your files (assuming they still exist), recuva can. Sorry I can't be of more help - and good luck.

#5 lzaidel

lzaidel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2011 - 01:14 PM

Hi Allan,
I used the program you suggested and I was able to retrieve most of the files on the drive. I'm not sure why some jpgs were not retrievable, but most were. In any case, thank you very much for your help.

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,629 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2011 - 01:15 PM

You're more than welcome and I'm happy to hear you met with some measure of success.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users