Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

3 monitor setup process?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 50PercentRick

50PercentRick

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 AM

Posted 19 March 2011 - 10:22 AM

Okay, I've been stressing for about 6 hours here trying to find some sort of solution on how to make this work. I just (last night) upgraded my 2 monitor athlon system to a new system that I would like to use 3 monitors (extended desktop) on.

I've been told by some people that this motherboard supports it. Other people say it does, but only with A specific video card in conjunction with my onboard Radeon HD4290. Lastly, I've also been told that I need to go get two new crossfire capabale cards and just use those exclusively? At this point I'm almost out of hair to pull out.

I just went out and upgraded my mobo and CPU, and also picked up 4g of DDR3.
My new components are:
ASUS M4A89GTDPRO MOBO with Radeon HD 4290 GPU onboard
AMD Phenom X6 1090T Black/Unlocked

And I would like to utilize my old video card with two dvi outs if at all possible to achieve the 3 wide desktop. Old card is ATI/MSI Radeon x1800.

I'm not sure if I'm improperly utilizing the PCI Switch card, if I've got the card/switch in the wrong slot, or what the hell i'm doing wrong. But I've tried quite a lot of configurations and I haven't found anything that works as of yet.

Any help at all is appreciated.
(apologies if any of this seems incoherent, as I said I purchased the new setup last night at around 9pm, and it's now 11:20 am and I haven't stopped assembling/troubleshooting since I got home.. so sorry in advance)

Thanks a lot,
fiftypercentrick, well, now about 10percentrick =P

(not sure if this will help given the problem I'm having, but i'll post it just in case someone needs it) http://speccy.piriform.com/results/oAbGUYfPczInz6IKSXpwc2R

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 PM

Posted 19 March 2011 - 06:57 PM

Your gonna have to buy a new graphics card.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2011 - 07:00 PM

Okay here goes....

First thing you will need to do is go into the BIOS. In the AI tweaker scroll down and set the internal graphics mode to UMA+Sideport. Then in the Advanced menu go to the Chipset, then 890GX, and then internal graphics. Scroll down and set the primary video controller to your x1800. Then go back up and set the Surround View option to enabled.

The switch card should be in the slot closest to the CPU and the x1800 should be in the other slot.

You will now be able to use the onboard video to run additional monitors.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#4 50PercentRick

50PercentRick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2011 - 04:57 AM

Thanks lot for your help Balt, I've adjusted everything but still no dice..

"First thing you will need to do is go into the BIOS. In the AI tweaker scroll down and set the internal graphics mode to UMA+Sideport."
Did that, no problem, easily found and fixed.

"Then in the Advanced menu go to the Chipset, then 890GX, and then internal graphics. Scroll down and set the primary video controller to your x1800. "
Set Internal graphics, or the graphics option there to "PCI-GFX0-GPP-IGFX" Since PCI was first there, I thought this would be the option you were referring to.

"Then go back up and set the Surround View option to enabled. "
Changed from "Auto" to "Enabled"

"The switch card should be in the slot closest to the CPU and the x1800 should be in the other slot."
Done.

"You will now be able to use the onboard video to run additional monitors"

What's happening is, when I start the cpu, only the two monitors I have connected to the X1800 are starting with the cpu, other one connected to onboard isn't getting any video signal, ever. Even in windows it's showing no input.

I've removed X1800 previously and connected only one monitor to the onboard, and it is working, but never all three at once.

Thanks again, any other ideas? I can take pics of bios screens if necessary?

I appreciate your help.
-Rick

#5 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 PM

Posted 20 March 2011 - 05:50 AM

I'm not 100% sure but when the x1800 is in use the onboard gets disabled which i think the reason why the there is no video signal for he onboard one. If i'm right, you might need to get a new graphics card that has 3 or more outputs.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#6 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2011 - 11:34 AM

You need to set the graphics option in the BIOS to GFX0-GPP-IGFX-PCI. If that doesn't work try using the GPP-GFX0-IGFX-PCI.
Also as another thing to try is to not use the switch card. This will reduce the PCI-E slot to 8x but might be needed to have the surroundview work properly.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users