Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IE9 issues

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 psxotaku

psxotaku

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 PM

Posted 19 March 2011 - 06:44 AM

I'm working on a friends Win7 Pro system. He downloaded IE9, but not from Microsoft. I'm guessing the download came pre-infected. It has a "tvwizsports Toolbar" and a search toolbar from Zugo. Whenever I do anything in the Add-on manager IE9 locks up or crashes. The toolbars are listed as disabled in the Add-on manager. Windows updates fail to install including the Win 7 SP 1 standalone download.

Anyone know how to get rid of this copy of IE9 and get the real one on his system?

TIA

(Moderator Edit: thread moved to more appropriate forum. jgw)

Edited by jgweed, 19 March 2011 - 08:05 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,632 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2011 - 07:19 AM

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/how-do-i-install-or-uninstall-internet-explorer-9

#3 psxotaku

psxotaku
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2011 - 07:35 AM

I've done that and it appeared that IE9 was removed. I then ran the IE9 installer from MS and it said that IE9 was already installed and didn't offer any way to re-install (or uninstall), just a close box.

I've also run scans with Malwarebytes and Webroot, both find nothing wrong.

Thanks for the suggestion, though.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,632 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2011 - 07:40 AM

Try revo uninstaller
http://www.revouninstaller.com/

#5 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2011 - 09:04 AM

He downloaded IE9, but not from Microsoft

Ouch. Wherever he dl'd it from it apparently came bundled with this Zugo Toolbar GARBAGE (or possibly it was already installed on prev. browser IE8 I assume?) , which modifies system settings, registry keys, etc... and when a user clicks ok or yes to the EULA (which most users never read, I know I RARELY do) the User grants consent to the following (among other) conditions.

Zugo Terms of Service http://zugo.com/terms-and-conditions/

# ZUGO START PAGE. One of the Services we offer is the use of the Zugosearch.com start page, which is generally installed and used through our software products or our partners' software products. If you want to use our start page, we may need to change the settings on your PC, and you will grant us all necessary rights to change the default setting of your home page on any internet browser then installed on your computer.

http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_374411.htm

This software is not a virus or a Trojan. It is detected as a "potentially unwanted program" (PUP). PUPs are any piece of software that a reasonably security- or privacy-minded computer user may want to be informed of and, in some cases, remove. PUPs are often made by a legitimate corporate entity for some beneficial purpose, but they alter the security state of the computer on which they are installed, or the privacy posture of the user of the system, such that most users will want to be aware of them.

Probably should be moved to AII or Malware Removal forum, IMO.

Edited by Union_Thug, 19 March 2011 - 09:04 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users