Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can Generation Y contribute to the World?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Drovers Dog

Drovers Dog

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 PM

Posted 19 March 2011 - 02:35 AM

This is such a wonderful thing that I really had to pass it on.

It realy shows that Generation Y Members are stepping up to the Plate with remarkable effects. I personally am so happy to see it, I just had to share it during the turmoil all over the World just now. Please keep this Topic free and easy, so it stays as a really nice encouragement for other Geneation y Members to feel very proud and to also take heart from the obvious rewards for such action. After all they are our future Rulers.

Prince William arrives in North Queensland for visit to flood and cyclone-affected areas Cardwell, Tully and Cairns

ALMOST half of the residents in the tiny Queensland town of Tully have turned out to welcome Prince William as he continues his visit to flood-hit Queensland.

Tully, one of the areas worst affected by last month's Cyclone Yasi, has a population of just 5000 and an estimated 2000 people turned out at the local sports ground to greet the prince.

They filled the grandstand and surrounded parts of the sports oval four and five deep as the prince's Black Hawk helicopter touched down.

"This is a very small town and for a prince to come here and show his concern will give us a tremendous lift," said local police Sergeant Mike Bailey.

His colleague Senior Sargeant Peter Williamson said the prince was "extremely upset" by what he saw when he flew into the town today.

"He said the only positive was that there was no serious injury or loss of life."

Adrian House, of the Queensland Ambulance Service at nearby Mission Beach, said the prince was extremely approachable.

"Something like this gives us a great lift. It has an overwhelmingly positive effect."

Captain Michael Bennett of the Queensland Fire and Rescue Service said the prince had obviously done his homework.

"He had a very good knowledge of what had happened and the issues affecting us," he said.

Prince William walked along the boundary of the sports oval shaking hands and one woman presented him with a bouquet of flowers.

He received a huge cheer as he waved farewell and departed in his helicopter to continue his visit to Cairns.

Earlier in the day, hundreds cheered and waved excitedly outside the Cardwell Community Hall as Prince William's Blackhawk helicopter, flanked by two others, touched down in the stifling humidity.

Shorts, thongs, tee-shirts and the smell of cooking snags greeted William as he warmly shook hands and chatted with Cardwell residents and enjoyed some far north Queensland hospitality.

"I can't believe we watched him grow up and here he is," one excited onlooker said as the prince approached.

The prince brought birthday cheer to a 102-year-old Betty Evans as she sat in her wheelchair clutching a birthday card sent by his grandmother the Queen on her 100th birthday.

Mrs Evans had to be evacuated from her nursing home when Cyclone Yasi tore through the town last month.

"She has always been a big fan of the royal family, so she was very happy to meet him," said therapist Marina Hoare.

"The moment I told her that Prince William was visiting she said: "Great, what am I wearing?"

The prince landed on the local sports oval where the cyclone wire fencing on the local tennis courts remained smashed on the ground.

The effect of the cyclone was plainly evident as he flew in, with many properties among the coastal strip still without roofs.

The prince, wearing slacks and an open-neck shirt was soon looking red in the face from the effect of the tropical heat.

But he was at pains to spend as much time as possible with locals.

"It's clear that Prince William is a real people person with plenty of passion," said Queensland Premier Anna Bligh, who was accompanying him on his travels.

"And you can't get too much of that in Cardwell right now. I can feel the great spirit in the town today.

"I've never seen smiles like this since the cyclone came through. Prince William has definitely lifted the spirits of the people here."

The prince won another fan in Major General Mick Slater, the head of Queensland's reconstruction task force.

"There have been plenty of high-profile people visit here since the cyclone, but I haven't seen anyone draw crowds like this and generate the level of enthusiasm that this guy has," said Maj Gen Slater.

"Many people here have been feeling like they've hit rock bottom and talking to him today has helped give them the strength to get back up and keep working hard.

"It helps individuals and the whole community.

"He's very interested in people and you can tell that by how much time he's spending talking to them.

"Anything that helps buoy their spirits is a big help.

"He's interested in how people are faring and how the communities are holding up."

Maj Gen Slater said Prince William, a qualified helicopter pilot, had shown an interest in flying the Blackhawk on the way up from Townsville.

Although he was casting his eye across the instrument panel, he made only "a light hearted" suggestion as he was there to meet Queenslanders and not fly helicopters.

"He'll get plenty of that when he goes back to England because I think it's straight back to work for him (with the RAF)."

Mary Simmons from Innisfail had a brief chat with the prince and said: "He really wanted to talk."

"I think the decision to come here was one he made himself."

"He's not a stuck up royal like they used to be.

"This generation of royals are all in with us, and it's absolutely wonderful."

Natalie Doran, 35 also chatted to the prince about the destruction of her father's newsagency.

"The house at the back is completely ruined and we've been working gung ho for five or six weeks to keep the business going.

"It's a really central business in the community."

The prince said well done for keeping it going.

Ross and Margaret Sorbello told him how they had lost their house in the cyclone.

"He was very happy to listen and we were very pleased with the keen interest he showed," said Mrs Sorbello.

Down on the Cardwell beach front local pie man Robert Jesse was another William fan.

"It's good of him to come," said Mr Jesse.

"His visit is bringing people into the area and helping local businesses.

"We've got an extra thousand people here today. He's already doubled my business in a day so he's done all right by me."

"He can come back any time."

Link to full story.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/prince-william-arrives-in-townsville-for-visit-to-flood-and-cyclone-affected-areas/story-e6freon6-1226024513619

That is just an incredible story and a Credit to Generation Y Members all over the World who try to emulate it, JMHO.

Ray.
What ever you give to others, you will get back doubled, Just make sure you only give Nice Things?......DD saying

There is a saying, "You just can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" it means "to be happy with what you have and not look for the impossible"......DD saying

The "Spirit" of the people who died, on that terrible day 9/11 will NEVER REST until such time as the "Imbeciles" that caused it, are eliminated through out the World.....DD saying

What is a Dog?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users