Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need HP Scanjet 3970 digital Flatbed Scanner driver for Win 7

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Konadan

Konadan

• Members
  • 261 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 PM

Posted 18 March 2011 - 09:49 PM

HP and MS don't have. Anyone know how I can it to work in Win 7?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 AM

Posted 18 March 2011 - 10:04 PM

did you try the vista drivers?

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,563 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 PM

Posted 18 March 2011 - 11:10 PM

Microsoft Compatibility Center says that it is not compatible, either in 32 bit or 64 bit: http://www.microsoft.com/Windows/compatibility/windows-7/en-us/Details.aspx?type=Hardware&p=HP%20Scanjet%203970%20digital%20Flatbed%20Scanner&v=HP&uid=Q3191AA2L&l=en-US&pf=3&pi=7&c=Printers%20%26%20Scanners&sc=Scanners&os=64-bit

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 Konadan

Konadan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 261 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2011 - 11:32 PM

Thank you, but I know it's not compatible with Win 7, that's why I'm asking for help. It wasn't compatible with Vista, but I found a basic driver that worked with Vista. But it doesn't work with Win 7. I was hoping that someone had the same problem and had found a work-around.

#5 1102

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 AM

Posted 20 March 2011 - 05:29 AM

I have an older perfectly good Visoneer scanner, no drivers available for W7, I decided to dual-boot with WinXP, the scanner works and I'm happy, you could go that route if you don't want to spend the cash on a new scanner. I did try XP mode but I didn't like the way the scanner worked though it might be alright with your HP.

#6 Konadan

Konadan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 261 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2011 - 12:39 AM

Thank you...a good idea...I will consider it!

#7 Konadan

Konadan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 261 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2011 - 07:31 PM

I almost got it to work, and I will try this method the next time I have a compatibility issue. Windows 7 lets you install drivers that will work in a previous Windows version; i.e., xp, vista. So, the end result is that the driver is working in a compatible OS, but it didn't work for me.

So, I decided to use it with my XP laptop. Now, I got another problem.

I get the following error message whenever I try to scan from my scanner that is connected via usb to my Dell E1705 laptop:

"The computer cannot detect the scanner or camera. Please make sure the device is turned on and properly connected to the computer."

I have tried two scanners, that work on other computers, and I get the same message. I have the latest drivers, and latest updates for the E1705 and Win XP installed, but still get the same message.

Each time I connect the scanner, Windows tells me that it has found new hardware, and successfully installed it. I see the device in "Device Manager/Imagining Devices" but not in "Scanners and Cameras" in the Control Panel. Please help

I guess I should try a new thread. Thanks to everybody for your help.

#8 Konadan

Konadan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 261 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2011 - 01:58 PM

Good news! I found an older HP Scanjet 3670 that is compatible with Win 7. Go figure... My daughter was using it with her XP PC, but it works on my Win 7. So, I traded scanners. Now, she has a newer scanner, and everyone is happy.

I still have an issue with my laptop, but that's in another thread. This issue is resolved and closed.

Edited by Konadan, 26 March 2011 - 02:00 PM.

#9 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,563 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 PM

Posted 26 March 2011 - 02:14 PM

Thanks for sharing how you resolved your issue. Older scanner was compatible? :scratchhead: Now thats interesting.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users