Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Do Video Card Hook Up To Hard Drives?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jorywlu

jorywlu

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 AM

Posted 24 December 2005 - 05:17 PM

I just swaped a power color X800GT for a Sapphire X850XT, huge imporvement. I never installed a before this one, I was told to make sure I plug in the fan. I plugged in the power supply into an empty power connector and the video cards cable had another connector, that a diagram showed it had to be connected to the hard drive, when I open up my computer again, I couldn't find the fitting on the hard drive. SO I just p[ut it back together and left it. THe video card is installed and works great, I have played games and every. SO can I just leave that cable on connected, or did i do something wrong.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 PM

Posted 24 December 2005 - 05:38 PM

from what you've stated, I'd say a definate maybe as an answer ..

That it works is good thing. :thumbsup:

I say maybe 'cause I think:
usually the harddrives are not directed connected by IDE cable to the vid card.
a cd-rw, a dvd-rom or other "removeable storage" devices do.

I'm gonna say, go to the website that makes the vid card you installed and try to view FAQ or a manualfor installation to get some specific information.

Or, post more info about what exactly your PC mobo is.
Same advice about that mobo, go to the manufacturer's site and nose around for specific info about the fan connections, power unit plug ins, etc.

which OS needs to be understood at this end of the conversation, too.

Happy Holidays.

Edited by phawgg, 24 December 2005 - 05:38 PM.

patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users