Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Problems...

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 killabozz

killabozz

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 PM

Posted 24 December 2005 - 04:25 PM

The other day when I started my computer it suddenly started to take up to 15min in the "windows is starting" screen and when I login with my user name it takes a very long time before the icons appear on the desktop, I cant see my taskbar and my sound and network isnt working, if I go to the device manager I can see that all my hardware is installed and that they are functioning but they still dont work...
Ive scanned my computer with 5 different virus programs and they havent found anything, does any1 know whats wrong and how to fix this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 PM

Posted 24 December 2005 - 09:23 PM

Check your Event Viewer for errors (Start...Run...type in "eventvwr.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter) - post back with what you find.

Which anti-virus programs have you used? Were the definitions updated just prior to the scans that you ran?

You can do a free, online antivirus and antispyware check here: http://housecall.trendmicro.com/ Please post back with the results of this scan.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 killabozz

killabozz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 PM

Posted 25 December 2005 - 02:45 AM

I cant do the online scan since it doesnt recongnise my network cards or anything even though it says in Device Manager that there is no problems with them... Ill do the event thing and write back, also I tried Avast Antivirus, Zone Alarm Antivirus, NOD Antivirus.

#4 ComputerWhizz7

ComputerWhizz7

• Members
  • 408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 AM

Posted 25 December 2005 - 03:25 AM

I see your problem.

Your computer is not seeing your hardware so your Operating System maybe not working correctly so you may have to wipe your hard-drive and reinstall windows.

Before you do so try putting another hard-disk into your computer and load windows onto it and see if that works.

Post back and tell us how that went.
I came, I saw, I conquered. - Julius Caeser

#5 dannyboy 950

dannyboy 950

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 PM

Posted 25 December 2005 - 09:16 AM

Well your hardware is loading otherwise windows would not have loaded. Windows just isnot seeing it/or not showing it sees it.

Try going back to a last known good configureation or if useing Win ME or XP do a retore to an earlier date.

Run some Malware scans and some AT scans then run a Hijack this and post it to the appropriate forum.

Go to start/run/type CMD and enter ipconfig -all makke note of the data and then ping each of the addys listed. This will establish whether the network is working.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 PM

Posted 25 December 2005 - 09:25 AM

First - backup all your important stuff IMMEDIATELY!!! There are numerous things that could cause this - and many of them will hose your system.

Next, I'd suggest that you download updated definitions for the virus checking programs that you've mentioned - then install them on your system - then recheck your system.

Also, try some antispyware tools (with updated definitions) - this seems (to me) to be virus or spyware related.

Just a suggestion - but you could try a repair installation of XP. This'll fix any problems with the OS (but won't fix problems with viruses or spyware).

Here's a link to some instructions: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

If this fails (and you've backed up your important stuff) - you can do a format and reinstall of the system. This'll fix any software and virus problems with your system (but won't address any hardware problems that may exist)
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 PM

Posted 25 December 2005 - 10:09 AM

I cant do the online scan since it doesnt recongnise my network cards or anything even though it says in Device Manager that there is no problems with them... Ill do the event thing and write back, also I tried Avast Antivirus, Zone Alarm Antivirus, NOD Antivirus.

I am sure you are aware that you can only run one antivirus on you computer at a time. I thought it was worth mentioning. If you run two or more antivirus' on you system at one time you will have conflicts.
Go to My Network(right click)>Properties> Local Area Conection>Properties>TCP/IP. What network devices are listed in the TCP/IP. Include dialups if listed.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users