Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Open Folder, lose all RAM

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Putrid

Putrid

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 PM

Posted 18 March 2011 - 07:29 PM

Windows 7 x64
Intel i7 860 Lynnfield
4GB RAM

I've got a .mkv file and a .nfo file in a folder with no other files or folders. On a clean boot, I've got ~2390MB of free memory. As soon as I open this folder, the memory in use begins to climb and within 60 seconds I've lost all of my free RAM. Once it maxes out, performance falls off a cliff and typically ends with me doing a hard reset.

I used the resource monitor to track this, and the bizarre thing is there doesn't seem to be any process actually using up any memory. All of the processes listed there in the memory tab keep just about the same amount of memory in use (looking at committed, working, shareable and private).

If windows boots in Safe Mode, the issue is not reproduced.

I can open the video and the video plays.

<edit>If I open the video from the recent history within the Media Player Classic, it will play and does not take up my memory</edit>
What do you think? This one's got me stumped.

Edit: Deleted useless unrelated poll in this topic. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Cameron Smith

Cameron Smith

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 PM

Posted 20 March 2011 - 10:40 AM

a .mkv file is a video file, which is able to open with multiple video players. which one are you using?

#3 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,615 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 PM

Posted 20 March 2011 - 12:16 PM

1) Go Start and in "Start search" type in:
cmd
Hold CTRL and SHIFT keys, press Enter

2) In command prompt window type in:
regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll (<----watch for "spaces")
Press Enter.

Try to open the folder again.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users