Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Restore Not Working?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 TheWound

TheWound

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 AM

Posted 24 December 2005 - 03:47 PM

Hi, i'm having some problems reformatting my computer...I am not new to computers nor formatting a hard drive but I have never had this problem before. So my problem is that when I insert the system restore disk and restart my comp it tells me to push "R" to boot from the cd and start recovery so I push R nothing happens. So I tried using another system restore CD I have on startup it tells me to push any key to boot the CD so I push any key nothing happens again on both CD's it just does nothing just starts up normally to windows. So I know the problem is not the CD and i've already checked to see if anything happened to the keyboard and no...works perfect. Could a virus be causing it to do this? anyway if anyone has a suggestion or knows the problem plz reply :D

Thanks In Advance.

[edit]Sorry btw not sure if you need to know my OS but just incase its Win XP Home[/edit]

Edited by TheWound, 24 December 2005 - 03:54 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 AM

Posted 24 December 2005 - 06:37 PM

When you are asked to push "R" for recovery, that will actually take you into the Recovery Console. (sometimes it takes a while for the Recovery Console to open, be patient ) Learn more about Recovery Console HERE. It does not sound like that is what you want to do. If you want to install Windows, when prompted you will need to delete the partition that the existing instance of Windows resides on, and then install the new instance to the unpartioned space. This is called a clean install that will include formatting of the harddrive. Learn more about it HERE. Another option is to do what is sometimes called an upgrade or dirty install. Learn about that HERE.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users