Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

2 Questions re Passwords & Users

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MaryBet82

MaryBet82

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 AM

Posted 18 March 2011 - 02:15 PM

winxp tab ed sp3 on thinkpad x41

1. I can't find where in Local Security Policy to require a password at logon or to require a logon.

2. When I reinstalled winxp via vendor's recovery discs I was asked for a PW and typed it in. Then I was asked for a list of user names - I typed in one. The PW is for The Administrator, which if I remember correctly is not the user name I typed in [or the first name typed in if you type in more than one]. So I have to create a PW for the user name. Is that correct?
mac 10.6 on macbook pro
WinXP sp2 on Dell 380 w/ 512 MB RAM- currently dead in the water
WinXP tab ed sp 3 on Thinkpad X41 w/ 1.5 GB RAM - lemony flavored
Win2K Sp4 on Sony VAIO GXR600 w/ 512 MB RAM - currently blue screening

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 PM

Posted 18 March 2011 - 05:11 PM

So I have to create a PW for the user name. Is that correct?

Usually this is optional on most early computers -
I have never had a user P/word for my XP, it just has the XP logo and the "running blue line" then opens (slowly :wink: ) -
My Win7 asked for one when I first started it so I used a simple one just to log in -

However I shall keep looking for your models specs to see if this is required -

EDIT -
The below is from IBM specs for your thinkpad x41 -
Password
  • A Power-on password (POP) protects the system from unauthorized use. If a POP is set, the password prompt appears:
    • Each time the system is turned on
    • When the system is returned to normal operation from suspend mode
  • A Supervisor Password provides a higher level of security than the POP. The Supervisor Password protects the system functions from being used by unauthorized users, and protects the hardware configuration from unauthorized modification.
  • A Hard Drive Password (HDP) protects hard drive data from unauthorized users. Once HDP is set, data on the hard drive cannot be accessed without the correct HDP.
  • Because the HDP is stored in the hard drive, the data remains protected even if the hard drive is removed to another system. The HDP password prompt appears:
    • Each time the system is turned on
http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-60015#sec
A link to the security section of your specs -

I hope someone here can give you a good way to recover this password as it seems to be required -

Edited by noknojon, 18 March 2011 - 05:25 PM.

#3 MaryBet82

MaryBet82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 AM

Posted 18 March 2011 - 05:33 PM

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I want to require logon passwords.

I'm talking about the password that one creates on installing winxp - not the hard drive or BIOS passwords you can set depending on the machine. I could check if I'm correct that the pw I input is for The Administrator and not for the user name I input if I could find where to require pw's on logon. I thought it was in local security policy, but I can't spot it.

Edited by MaryBet82, 18 March 2011 - 05:58 PM.

mac 10.6 on macbook pro
WinXP sp2 on Dell 380 w/ 512 MB RAM- currently dead in the water
WinXP tab ed sp 3 on Thinkpad X41 w/ 1.5 GB RAM - lemony flavored
Win2K Sp4 on Sony VAIO GXR600 w/ 512 MB RAM - currently blue screening

#4 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 AM

Posted 18 March 2011 - 05:43 PM

go to control panel /users/select the username in question and there will get the option to add a pw

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#5 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 PM

Posted 18 March 2011 - 06:08 PM

Sorry If the question was misread as you asked - " So I have to create a PW for the user name. Is that correct?"
From the above , I assumed you were asking IF a password was required -

Please follow the instructions above from caperjac and you should be done -

Regards -

Edited by noknojon, 18 March 2011 - 06:10 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users