Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

print preview missing

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 wkid

wkid

• Members
  • 771 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 PM

Posted 18 March 2011 - 01:05 PM

Dell inspiron 531s
HP 6310 Officejet 6310 All-in-One
XP SP 3
Firefox 3.6.x
IE8

I don't know if this is a Windows, browser, or printer related problem. Visiting Google, the HP web site (including their forum, help, and troubleshooting feature), and Microsoft help has provided me with no insight. The Microsoft site seems to be devoted to Office Word options, but does not address the details which follow.

Using File>Print to initiate a print job (in both FF and IE) no longer offers the print preview option in the first window or anywhere else I can find. Questioning other users of this machine about any changes they have performed has been useless to determine whether or not they changed settings. I have not found any settings which I can change to retrieve this option.

Recent events which I know of since my last use of print preview are:
  • Windows automatic updates
  • installing Google Chrome
  • adding Google Docs

I do not know if any of these may have caused me to loose the print preview feature. I have removed both Google Chrome and Google Docs to see if that would restore the print preview option. --- no such luck!

What next?

Thanks for any insight you can provide.

regards,
wkid

Edited by wkid, 18 March 2011 - 01:08 PM.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. - Benjamin Franklin

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,726 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 PM

Posted 18 March 2011 - 01:27 PM

Worth a look, IMO: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/973479 AND http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888241 AND http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/forum/ie8-windows_xp/ie8-printing-does-not-work-preview-empty/920588e5-ccc4-4e24-83d6-606d5e3b1c70 AND http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;2000843&sd=rss&spid=13418 .

Seems to happen too often for me :).

Louis

#3 wkid

wkid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 771 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2011 - 02:46 PM

Louis,

One detail I did not mention in the previous post which may be pertinent: I checked all the user accounts. This problem is common to all user accounts.

Thanks for the links. I have reviewed all of them. Most of them seem to apply to Vista or Windows 7 by virtue of the descriptions or paths listed. The one which seemed to come closest to a solution recommended resetting IE to the defaults. Here I have questions.

Since I use IE only for automatic Microsoft updates, I am not concerned about my user account. However, some of the other users prefer IE and have toolbars and other add-ons configured for their preferences. They are not very computer savvy. Can I reset to defaults in my user account only? As I understand it, resetting to default will wipe out the add-ons and toolbars. I do not look forward to having to reconfigure the other user accounts and deal with the complaints which will come with that.

Additionally I have tried IE with no add-ons to see if print preview is present there. It is not. Does this indicate that the problem is not with IE settings, add-ons, etc?

regards,
wkid

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,726 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 PM

Posted 18 March 2011 - 03:33 PM

I cannot answer many questions about IE, I seldom have had any problems with it and I don't employ add-ons.

As for the links which refer specifically to a version of IE or Windows that you don't employ...I find that, since IE is designed for all versions of Windows...a problem with one O/S is unlikely to truly specific to that O/S. For such to be, it would be a Windows problem, not an IE problem.

Yours looks like an IE problem that occurs for somewhat varying reasons.

Me, I would just reinstall IE 8...it's fast and painless. The only time that a user knows that a given Windows function is damaged...is when Windows no longer functions as it should.

Louis

#5 wkid

wkid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 771 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2011 - 11:35 PM

Thanks Louis,

Your explanations make good sense. I have scrutinized the links more closely and found out how to back up the favorites for the users who use IE.

Me, I would just reinstall IE 8...it's fast and painless. The only time that a user knows that a given Windows function is damaged...is when Windows no longer functions as it should.

This sounds like a good plan to me, but the Lady of the House gave her standard response: "I don't want it fixed ... and so on ... and so on ..." (SHHHH! Don't tell her. I am going to find a way to do it without her knowledge.)

Thanks again,
wkid

#6 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 PM

Posted 19 March 2011 - 02:51 AM

Using File>Print to initiate a print job (in both FF and IE) no longer offers the print preview option

I use IE all the time and The option is listed under the File section that has >> Page Setup + Print (Ctrl+P) + Print Preview -
If you bypass this option then you must set Print Preview as you prepare your print job -
What program do you want to print from ? Is the picture here any use ? ?

Edited by noknojon, 19 March 2011 - 02:55 AM.

#7 TulsaRose

TulsaRose

• Members
  • 367 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2011 - 08:07 AM

I run Win XP Pro SP3, use IE8 and Print Preview is available in the File menu under the Print option.

Are you saying that is no longer the way your File \ Print, Print Preview displays?

WinXP Pro sp3 \ Firefox, Panda, MBAM, SAS, SpywareBlaster

#8 TulsaRose

TulsaRose

• Members
  • 367 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2011 - 08:21 AM

I've also added Print and Print Preview to the Tool Bar. Have you tried that?

WinXP Pro sp3 \ Firefox, Panda, MBAM, SAS, SpywareBlaster

#9 wkid

wkid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 771 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2011 - 10:30 AM

PROBLEM RESOLVED

noknojon: The missing print preview feature is as shown by TulsaRose in the post above.

TulsaRose: Yes, that is what I was talking about. As for adding to the toolbar, I assume you are speaking of the navigation toolbar, not the menu bar. I have print, but not print preview, on the navigation toolbar for FF. Because I don't use IE, I allow the other users to customize their own IE toolbars.

THE RESOLUION:

With a little tinkering here and there I managed to solve the problem. Actually I got a good laugh out of the whole process. I was preparing to do a remove/install for IE and almost got caught trying to do it on the sly. <--(as posted in my reply to one of the hamluis suggestions above) ... On a regular basis I compose mini-tutorials with images and descriptions and print them as Word documents for other users. I pretended to work up one of those mini-tutorials and began to modify the features in the options as described below while under the watchful eye of the Lady of the House. I can't confirm that my changes restored the print preview feature, or if this is just coincidence, but the print preview feature is back as shown in TulsaRose's image.

Here is the scoop.
  • I opened a docx document (one of my existing mini-tutorials) created in Office 2007.
  • I clicked the Office button at the upper left corner of the window and chose the Word Options button from the menu.
  • I then chose customize.
  • In the Choose commands from dialog box I selected popular commands and clicked print preview.
  • In the Customize Quick Access Toolbar I selected for all documents.
  • To finish the setting, I clicked Add>> and then OK.

To my surprise, both IE and FF now have print preview available from the menu bar under File. My previous description of the area was a little inaccurate because I did not remember the path exactly in the menu. I offer my apologies for miscommunicating that part.

regards,
wkid

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users