Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

merging partitions

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 serebraldamage

serebraldamage

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 PM

Posted 23 October 2004 - 04:54 PM

xp pro

i have a 40 gig hd that is partioned into 2 parts. one having 10gb and the other having about 30gb. is there an easy (free) way to merge them into one disk again?

i have a 37gb 10,000rpm drive with windows installed on it in here, i just want to use this 40 as extra space.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2004 - 05:12 PM

Are we talking about two separate disks?
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 PM

Posted 23 October 2004 - 06:25 PM

yeah, serebraldamage there is. Mount your 40GB drive into the computer, plug it in, using the existing drive's cable. (Unplug your 37GB drive). Make the jumper "master". Power on to BIOS screen. Confirm it reads a single HD (which is now your 40GB HD. optional, really) Insert windows CD. Choose to re-format the drive prior to installation of Windows. Choose NTFS, single partition... heck, load the OS if you want. When done with re-formatting (or the whole works) unplug it, change jumper to "slave". Use a cable that will plud two HD's in to the same mobo connection. They are a standard type and available from (?) whereever parts are sold/available. The 37GB HD as "master" will continue to be the OS drive, anything on the slave drive will be data.

BTW, I too enjoy nocharge. A Sgt. in the crapwareWar Corp can't admit to being nervous in the service, though. :thumbsup:
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#4 serebraldamage

serebraldamage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2004 - 10:04 PM

thank you pawgg. i couldnt figure out fdisk and i wasnt about to spend money on partition magic, when i had the windows install disk right here. :flowers:

sorry jgweed that i couldnt be more accurate in my questioning.

btw installing windows is fun!!! :thumbsup:

Edited by serebraldamage, 23 October 2004 - 10:05 PM.

#5 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 PM

Posted 23 October 2004 - 10:46 PM

If you dont feel like deleting the partitions and starting over, you can copy all the data from the 10 gb partition to the 30gb partition. Once the data is copied over to the 30 gb drive, you would delete the 10gb partition and resize it using this tool which has great reviews, and is free:

Partition Resizer

#6 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 PM

Posted 23 October 2004 - 11:06 PM

You're welcome, serebraldamage, it was a case of "been there, done that" for me. I also like to avoid extra programs... but thank you Grinler, that link is to a handy light-weight utility that belongs in the toolbox. Partitions are a nice fact of big space & fast drives... even those non-SATA... and something to preview action considered before taking it is useful. :thumbsup:
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users