Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Diagnostic virus hide my files. How rude, Help please.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 KennyPowers55

KennyPowers55

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 AM

Posted 18 March 2011 - 09:59 AM

Hello,

I recently was hacked/keylogged with the Windows Diagnostic virus. I received the messages that my computer was at risk, critial RAM and hard drive errors. I seached and followed the instructions listed below but the problem is that I still have files that are hidden as well as programs.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-windows-diagnostic

I'm running an older xp AMD desktop, I'm not sure what other information you will need.

I DL Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and Rkill.

I followed the instructions on the page and it took away the Windows diagnostic program and popups, that I can tell.

The problem now is that my files that used to be on the desktop are now hidden, the files in my personal folders are hidden. When I hit start and go to programs it shows nothing.

Now I know that the files are still there because I had a file on the desktop with a certain name and when I tried to save another file to the desktop with the same name it said that there was one already there. Also all my pictures and music hidden too. I can play them when I open itunes but I'm not able to view them when I try to open the folder.

I opened the folders and hit hide and unhide files but nothing helps.

I'm not sure what else to put on here but I could really use some help.

Please let me know what additional information you will need and please bear with me if I need it explained on how to get if for you.

Thanks,
KP

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Stamina

Stamina

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 19 March 2011 - 08:28 AM

I have the same virus :-(

Exact same problems. Can someone please help.

Thanks

#3 klut

klut

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 AM

Posted 21 March 2011 - 06:39 PM

I have the same hidden files issues.

Any ideas out there ?

Cheers
Pete

#4 KennyPowers55

KennyPowers55
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 AM

Posted 23 March 2011 - 09:32 AM

I restarted in safe mode and was able to access the folders but the hard drive was toast. After I transferred the file I wiped it clean for a reinstall of windows. This is the worst virus that I ever had.

#5 Simon Clarke

Simon Clarke

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 PM

Posted 09 May 2011 - 05:37 AM

You should be able to see your files if you go to the c:\ prompt and type attrib -h *.* /d /s

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users