Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

RAS server 2008

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 gerry58

gerry58

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 PM

Posted 18 March 2011 - 08:41 AM

HP server using 2008 SBE server software. I only use the server for file storage and to run a medical billing software package. My question is, can I use the server for remote access to the office? If so how do I configure the server software. I have never setup RAS before. I have been using Cisco router to handle remote VPN issues.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2011 - 03:52 PM

I'm unsure what version of Server 2008 you are running here. Did you mean Small Business Server?
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 chromebuster

chromebuster

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  
  • Location:the crazy city of Boston, In the North East reaches of New England

Posted 20 March 2011 - 01:09 PM

If you already have Cisco handling VPn issues, you might as well keep your current configuration and use it instead of the server. It's a pain in the butt to set up a server for RRAS. You need two NICs for one thing, and then you have to decide which VPN configuration you want, either VPN gateway, site-to-site VPN, or there's one other one, rare, but in some situations it is used. Mayb Baltboy can tell you the last one for I'm having a temporary brain fart at the moment, and I can't remember for the life of me what it's called.

The AccessCop Network is just me and my crew. 

Some call me The Queen of Cambridge

#4 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2011 - 07:07 PM

If he is using Small Business Server there are several easy to configure options for remote access. There is remote workplace, Remote Desktop, and VPN access. All of which are pretty simple to setup. Plus since SBS 2008 is designed for a single network card you do not need another NIC to use any of them.

I think the other VPN you were thinking of is a Point to Point?
Mark Twain

#5 chromebuster

chromebuster

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2011 - 09:16 PM

Does VPN access in SBS 2008 differ from that of Server 2008 Foundation or Standard? I think the only time Two NICs are needed is when the server is acting as both the VPN gateway and the router, right?

#6 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2011 - 08:51 AM

That is correct. SBS 2008 is designed to use one NIC. Mainly because they assume that you will be using a dedicated router. So the only thing you need to do is some port forwarding on the router and install a certificate that is generated when you install SBS on the remote computers if you use anything but the VPN. VPN access still only requires a domain user account and the correct access settings in the user account.
Mark Twain

#7 chromebuster

chromebuster

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2011 - 08:59 AM

I get that, but my question was more like, can Windows Server 2008 R2 Foundation or Standard also act the same way as SBS 2008 in that it can do VPN with a dedicated router? So all that's needed on the server is one NIC and then some port forwarding on the router itself? And besides, why does Microsoft even offer you the ability to use your server as a router? Why on earth would anybody want to do that since most ISPs install dedicated routers anyway? I understand thee role of VPN, but not of software routing.

#8 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2011 - 11:53 AM

I'm not really sure about how that would work in 2008 I haven't had the chance to delve very far into it besides SBS. As far as why do they include it? Good question. I look at that like the software raid function it is there if you want it but hardly anybody uses it because the dedicated products are so much better.
Mark Twain

#9 chromebuster

chromebuster

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2011 - 12:13 PM

Since my server at home's not doing too much right now, I guess I'll have to play with it. That's the beauty of Server 2008 that you can remove what you don't need even if you installed it just to play with it, right? Because I think though that since RRAS can do both VPN and routing, when installing NPS (for NPS has to be installed to get to RRAS), I just don't install the routing feature. And that's funn y that you mention software-based raid. I say that because my Dell PowerEdge T110 server uses the Dell PERC S100 Raid controller. That in itself is a software raid controller.

#10 gerry58

gerry58
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2011 - 02:53 PM

Sounds like more work than necessary. I will continue to handle VPN/remote access with cisco. Their RVS series of routers allow for vpn setup in a matter of minutes. For small businesses thats all they need. I appreciate all the feedback.

#11 chromebuster

chromebuster

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2011 - 02:57 PM

no problem at all. I learned a lot here too.

#12 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2011 - 08:46 AM

I would tend to agree. As a matter of fact I am getting ready to set up VPN access at an office using a Cisco vpn router myself.
Mark Twain

#13 chromebuster

chromebuster

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2011 - 12:23 PM

But I still think it'd be cool to have the router do the routing and then the server do VPN. But great folks, thanks, because you're making me want one of those Cisco things now!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users