Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Special Problem: Undetectable Phenomenon Uses Hard Drive Repeatedly

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Boris_yo

Boris_yo

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 PM

Posted 18 March 2011 - 07:35 AM

My hard drive is being exessively used once every 15 - 30 seconds which slows my computer down or makes it unresponsive. I tried to investigate processes and files used behind this with Process Monitor, Process Explorer, Filemon, Regmon, Diskmon and AntiVir Task Manager and nothing helped me in detecting the cause. However, with AntiVir it showed something interesting - it showed that no process is using hard drive, but hard disk load was 100%. Apparently something uses hard drive but it is not process and AntiVir Task Manager knows this, but cannot detect what is causing it.

I need Expert advice here people. This problem is very annoying and frustrating. And did i say that i use my laptop only for work and not playing games or utilizing video card heavy applications?

Technical Details:

Intel Centrino Duo T2400 1.83Ghz
1GB Ram
GeForce Go 7400
Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2
Microsoft Security Essentials is always up to date
Windows XP default firewall

Please see attached file of running processes.

Edited by Boris_yo, 18 March 2011 - 07:36 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 PM

Posted 18 March 2011 - 07:47 AM

First question - does the same thing happen in safe mode?

Let's start with this and see if it helps:
start / run / regedit
Navigate to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdrom
If there is an entry of AutoRun or AutoPlay, double click and set the value to 0 (zero)

If that doesn't solve the problem we can look elsewhere

#3 Boris_yo

Boris_yo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 PM

Posted 19 March 2011 - 08:09 PM

Scanned with MSE and MalwareBytes using smart scan/quick scan - no problems. Used CCleaner also.

I haven't tried in Safe Mode, but something tells me the problem is with Firefox - it is the program that uses most of RAM (over 250Mb and plugin-container uses over 350Mb). I disabled all plugins and will see how it goes. If i am correct i recently upgraded Adobe Flash Player which might cause the problem...

Edited by Boris_yo, 19 March 2011 - 08:10 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users