Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 7 Boot & Shutdown Issues

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 AM

Posted 18 March 2011 - 06:22 AM

Okay - I have this brand new computer that I just built. I'm now running with a 6-core AMD Phenom processor and 16GB of RAM. When I built this machine, I decided to go ahead and install Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit OS.

With the exception of the usual Windows processes, the only two programs that come on when the system starts are my AV (Avast), and my screensaver (Second Nature Desktop). I've tried disabling each of them, with no success. Since installing Win 7 Ultimate, my boot time and shutdown time are stupidly slow - counting in multiple minutes here.

The only thing I've managed to find on the web are tips on how to speed up my entire system - defrag, clear start menu, etc. - the normal, "let's speed things up here" kind of advice. Nothing I've tried helps.

Suggestions? I've done full scans, and I appear to be virus/malware free.

Snowden03.png

~   Notorious Thread Killer   ~
Case: CoolerMaster Storm Trooper Full ATX | Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z170X | CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 8M Skylake Quad-Core | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 390X 8GB 512-Bit | PSU: EVGA 80 PLUS GOLD 850 W | RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 SDRAM [4x8GB] Audio: Integrated Creative Sound Core 3D 5.1 | Internal Storage: Samsung 2 TB HDD | Seagate 1 TB HDD | Samsung 500GB SSD [x2] | Mushkin 500GB SSD | External Storage: Seagate 2TB | Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS324 Dual Layer

Display 1: AOC I2757Fh 27" | Display 2 & 3: LG 24MP57HQ-P 24" | Operating Systems: OS 1: Windows 10 Professional | OS 2: Linux Mint Cinnamon | OS 3: Windows 7 Ultimate x-64 | Antivirus: MS Security Essentials | Firewall: Windows Firewall

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 AM

Posted 18 March 2011 - 07:07 AM

1) Startup: Try a clean boot and let's see what happens. Run msconfig and on the General tab choose "selective startup" (disable everything) and reboot. How fast / slow was the boot? If still slow, I'd look to a hardware issue.

2) Shutdown:
1) Make sure "clear pagefile at shutdown" is not enabled:
start - run - regedit
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management]

Set ClearPageFileAtShutdown value to 0

2) Start - Run - Regedit
Navigate to the following Registry key:
HKEY CURRENT USER\Control Panel\Desktop
Double click on the AutoEndTasks entry and replace the 0 with a 1 in the Value data text box

For the next two, if the dword value indicated does not exist, create it:

Double click on the WaitToKillAppTimeout entry in the right pane and change the Value data to 2000

Double click on the HungAppTimeout entry in the right pane and change the Value data to 1000

Reboot

3) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control
Right-click on WaitToKillServiceTimeout and change it to 2000

#3 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2011 - 07:54 AM

Startup:

Under Selective Startup, all services disabled:

Boot time: Approx. 50 seconds, including time to log in.

Under Normal Startup:

Boot time: Approx. 3.5 minutes.

Shutdown:

* Changed HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management ClearPageFileAtShutdown value to 0.

In navigating to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop:

* There is no AutoEndTask entry in the list.

* There is no WaitToKillAppTimeout entry in the list.

* There is no HungAppTimeout entry in the list.

* Changed WaitToKillServiceTimeout value to 2000.

Shutdown time: Approx. 30 seconds.

Also, after changing the ClearPageFileAtShutdown value to 0, the boot process was back to normal; apparently, changing that has corrected the issue.

I know little about the Pagefile. Will there be other maintenance that I need to do? I've heard, I believe, that the pagefile can continue to increase in size and eventually cause problems. Is this correct, or can I consider this issue fixed?

Snowden03.png

Case: CoolerMaster Storm Trooper Full ATX | Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z170X | CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 8M Skylake Quad-Core | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 390X 8GB 512-Bit | PSU: EVGA 80 PLUS GOLD 850 W | RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 SDRAM [4x8GB] Audio: Integrated Creative Sound Core 3D 5.1 | Internal Storage: Samsung 2 TB HDD | Seagate 1 TB HDD | Samsung 500GB SSD [x2] | Mushkin 500GB SSD | External Storage: Seagate 2TB | Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS324 Dual Layer

Display 1: AOC I2757Fh 27" | Display 2 & 3: LG 24MP57HQ-P 24" | Operating Systems: OS 1: Windows 10 Professional | OS 2: Linux Mint Cinnamon | OS 3: Windows 7 Ultimate x-64 | Antivirus: MS Security Essentials | Firewall: Windows Firewall

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2011 - 07:56 AM

You need not concern yourself with the pagefile at all. Leave it alone.

Are you saying everything is okay now?

#5 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2011 - 10:36 AM

Boot and shutdown are fine now.

What about those three registry entries that are missing?

Snowden03.png

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2011 - 04:50 PM

Don't worry about them. Not every system has them.

#7 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2011 - 05:46 PM

Excellent!

Thanks so much for your help, Allan. Very much appreciated. :clapping:

Snowden03.png

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2011 - 05:50 PM

You're very welcome. Happy to help :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users