Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DVD drive doesn't open HP Pavilion a1606n

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Beth102

Beth102

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 AM

Posted 18 March 2011 - 02:35 AM

I bought this computer literally on the day that Vista came out.

I have an HP Pavilion a1606n with XP Media Center Computer. The drive is getting harder and harder to open. Yesterday when burning DVDs the drive would open, but it did struggle, when the Nero burning software told it to open. Now I just pressed the button 20 times on the front of the computer and it won't open. I'm not sure exactly what to do with a paper clip...where to insert it. What is the situation on these? Anybody have experience with these computers? So far I think I only had to replace the power box.
I've had this computer for 6 years and want to keep it. I don't really know how feasible that is in the long run, but I dread having to buy and struggle to learn new software especially for some functions that I am phasing out of.
In the back of my mind I was thinking of maybe adding a hard drive...but not sure on that, and if I have to replace something on the DVD/CD burner drive, but on a computer this old is it worth it to keep it going for awhile?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 PM

Posted 18 March 2011 - 02:55 AM

This is the replacement for your current burner.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 Bill253

Bill253

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 19 March 2011 - 11:02 AM

While the drive killerx525 referenced is a perfectly fine choice, you could save a few dollars with this one. Notice that both these links bring you to the same online retailer, who has several dozen replacement drives to choose from. This particular retailer has an excellenet reputation, but is by no means the only place to buy from.

As far as the paper clip goes, there is usually a small hole in the front of the drive - commonly near the push button to open and close the drive. Stick a stiff piece of wire (like a straightened out paper clip) in the hole and it manually releases the drive tray. On my PC the drive itself sits behind a protective flip-down cover. You have to open the cover to get to the 'paper clip hole'.

It's up to you as to how much money you want to put into your computer to keep it going. If this is the only thing wrong with it, and it continues to meet your neeeds, I'd say go ahead and replace the drive. Replacing the drive is a relatively straightforward an inexpensive task that you should be able to do yourself. It might be a good excuse to clean the inside of your computer too, if you haven't done so in a while (or ever).

Please ask if you need more specific help.

#4 Bill253

Bill253

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2011 - 11:11 AM

I should have looked before, but click here to go to HP's site to get documentation on your PC. The Upgrading and Servicing Guide will tell you what you need to know about replacing the drive. You probably also have this document somewhere on your computers hard drive.

It looks like your DVD drive is hidden behind a protective cover too, just (carefully) pry it open to access the drive itself.

#5 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2011 - 06:53 PM

I was gonna post that Asus burner but then i saw the Pioneer burner which i always buy when building a computer or upgrading one.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#6 Beth102

Beth102
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2011 - 10:36 PM

So when the drive gets hard to open I need to change the drive? hmmm The computer is 6 years old so how can I be sure the drive I buy will fit and work in this particular computer? Sorry for the dumb questions but I don't know much about this stuff...I will look at that HP site. Today at Micro Center I asked about installing a new hard drive and he told me my computer is showing its age because they only had 2 hard drives that would be compatible with this computer...that would be IDE ATA/3.5% internal hard drive...so that is hard drives...so is there some kind of a difference for the CD/DVD burners as well?

Today I had to buy a new monitor as mine blew up...and I've been fighting malware "XP Total Security" all week...so...did a clean install then the old monitor blew...

#7 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2011 - 10:44 PM

This will get the specs of your computer.

Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

>Michael 

#8 Bill253

Bill253

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2011 - 02:54 PM

@Beth - the recommendation to change out the DVD drive is based on the assumption that the tray open/close gearing or motor is failing. For $20 - $30 it's really not worth someone trying to repair a part like this, I suppose you could try to clean and lubricate the gearing. The DVD drives in desktop systems are all pretty standard at 5.25" The interface is SATA. According to HP, the a1606n has 4 SATA connectors available (one probably gets used for your DVD, another for your hard disk drive (HDD), with two more as spares.

Don't know why Micro Center is telling you IDE ATA when HP says the specs are:
Hard drive
  • 200 GB SATA
  • 7200 rpm
Please verify that this link to HP Pavillion Media Canter a1606n is indeed referencing your system.

A Speccy snapshot, as killerx525 suggests, would remove all doubt.

@killerx525 - I was wondering why you picked out the Pioneer drive. Good experience with a particular brand is as good a reason as any I have. I picked the Asus because of the large number of positive reviews and slightly lower price.

@Beth - one thing just occured to me. As far as I can tell, neither of these drives are capable of Lightscribe, so if that feature to label your disks is important to you, maybe more shopping is in order.

Regards,
Bill253

#9 Beth102

Beth102
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2011 - 03:23 PM

thank you so much. No I don't care for light scribe...it's nice, but it is SLOW and it fades, so what good is that? I tend to burn quantities of disks for friends.

OKAY, so if I buy one of these drives, am I gonna be able to take my computer apart, take the old one out, put the new one in, by myself? ha ha

Right now I will see if I can get it open with a paperclip because I need to burn CDS for musicians who pay me much needed cash to do so.....so I guess I gotta try paper clip thing and burn some CDS....I'm just afraid I'll get stuck....my 2 tech savvy friends could only do it on a weekend....and one friend I'd have to do his taxes in exchange for his fixing the drive....I really need the $ for doing his taxes.

I'm just sick of all this computer work I've done nothing but work on this computer for 1 1/2 weeks and I need a break...I need to work on other things...and I need to do my taxes as well, which are very complicated!

But maybe I should order the disk drive. I'm looking for a disk drive that can handle a lot of burning!

Beth

#10 Beth102

Beth102
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2011 - 03:31 PM

But you have to pay $25 for Speccy.....

#11 Bill253

Bill253

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2011 - 12:19 AM

But you have to pay $25 for Speccy.....

That's only if you want Priority Support. I just checked it out, you can still get it for free. Follow the instructions provided by killerx525 (again, here ) . Make sure you download from http://www.piriform.com/speccy/download/standard or http://www.piriform.com/speccy/download/portable for the portable version. When you install, it asks you if also you want to install the Google tool bar, make sure to uncheck the box (unless you want it). Give it another try.

Maybe the problem is with the button on the cover not making contact with the button on the drive itself - a mis-alignment, or some crud getting in the way. See if you can carefully pry open the door (I just used a toothpick to get it open on my Pavillion a6120n) and hold it open. Look closely and you'll see a cheap plastic button on the door that contacts another button on the drive itself. Try pushing the button on the drive itself and see if it works OK. The paper clip trick is for when the button on the drive itself doesn't work.

So the drive still reads/writes OK?

Let us know what you find.

Regards,
Bill

#12 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2011 - 12:29 AM

Usually when i build a computer i always use a Pioneer burner which is the most expensive one in my local computer shop. I have a IDE Pioneer burner which still works after 6 years of use. Also Beth102, the Pioneer burner will serve you well in the long run.

>Michael 

#13 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 AM

Posted 21 March 2011 - 07:01 AM

One of the common problems with CD/DVD drives besides the laser going dim, is the warp-age of the disk tray.

Hey no matter what you spend, those plastic trays warp and when they do warp they get hung up on the disk spindle or the magnetic hold-down disk.

This is why your tray is not ejecting, you hear it clicking and the light flashing, but the tray does not come out.

When this happens, the paper clip does not always do the trick to advance the tray to eject the disk and sometimes you actually have to remove the drive and open it up to get the disk back.

Lubricating the gears and track help in some cases, but it will not correct a warped tray.

I believe your drive is suffering from this all but too common problem.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#14 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2011 - 12:21 AM

A new burner would be the way to go.

>Michael 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users