Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Port Forwarding & Static IP Addresses

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 zekkie

zekkie

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 AM

Posted 18 March 2011 - 12:17 AM

Hello,

I am being entrusted at work with setting up a new time clock at work. While I am the most computer literate person at my work, this is a bit over my head as I am not THAT computer literate and have never done this specific kind of work before. Any help would be appreciated.
Basically I need to set up a new biometric time clock. I need to assign a static IP address both to it and the host computer as well as open 3 ports for communication (80 HTTP, 443 SSL, and 2500, I believe...I'm not doing it right now so I don't have the documentation with me). It asks for things such as the LAN's Subnet mask and the gateway IP address, with which I am not totally familiar.
I was wondering if somebody could tell me how to do the static IP assignments and the port forwarding. I also apologize if this is not the right forum...I think I have it right though. Everything will be behind a wireless Linksys router, if that helps at all.

Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance. :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NpaMA

NpaMA

• Members
  • 635 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 AM

Posted 19 March 2011 - 03:08 AM

You will need to get the subnet mask and gateway IP from a working computer that is currently connected. How large of a business network are they using? Something small (1-25 computers), medium (25-75ish), large (75-250), or enterprise (250+) ?

Normally, you shouldn't need to port forward (other than open a port on the local machine's firewall) for LAN to LAN connections.

To get the subnet mask and gateway IP
Open up command prompt (start -> run (search for Vista/7 users) -> Type "cmd" and press enter.
In the command prompt/window type "ipconfig /all" (without the quotes)

Take note of the information for subnet mask and default gateway and use those as the default gateway, and subnet mask on the timeclock and the "host" computer.

Also, what OS is the "host computer" running? Windows? Linux? The reason I ask is because you set static IPs up differently for each one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users