Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Explorer freezing up

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 sistermt

sistermt

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 PM

Posted 17 March 2011 - 09:07 PM

Using IE 8 running Windows Vista. It takes a good 15-20 minutes upon startup before I can open up the browser. Then all day long it seems like the computer has gone to sleep, all of a sudden I hear a humming noise (possibly the hard drive starting up) and the browser will respond. This happens every 10 minutes or so. Could my processor need to be replaced? I ran a virus scan McAfee and it shows no virus, there were 63 tracking cookies fixed but nothing else.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2011 - 07:03 AM

1) McAfee is the worst. May I suggest you replace it with ANY other anti virus utility?

2) Let's check your hd. Right-click on a command prompt icon and open as administrator. In the command prompt window type:chkdsk /r (then press ENTER). You'll be told the disk is in use and asked if you want to run checkdisk on the next boot. Say yes, exit the command prompt window, and reboot.

3) What is new or different since the last time everything worked properly (ie, new hw, new sw, virus, error, etc)?

#3 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 AM

Posted 18 March 2011 - 07:18 AM

My McAfee experience was horrible!!

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#4 sistermt

sistermt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2011 - 06:32 PM

Did the chkdsk/r but didn't get any message after doing it. It looks like everything was ok. I can't tell if it's running any smoother yet. Thanks for the input.

#5 sistermt

sistermt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2011 - 08:56 PM

Still freezing up, but not as bad as before

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2011 - 07:13 AM

I'm not real crazy about that humming noise you hear. If there's some way you can isolate the sound and identify the source that would be very helpful.

#7 sistermt

sistermt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2011 - 07:34 AM

Should I open the PC and try to determine if it is the HD or the fan?

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2011 - 07:40 AM

Sure

#9 sistermt

sistermt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2011 - 07:36 AM

Ok, I cleaned out the inside of the computer, and it seems as though the humming stopped. The fan was all gunked up with dust. The IE browser is running a bit better after I ran the Malware remover (1 was found). Still it's running a bit slow but not as bad as before. What should I set the Temporary internet files disk space to use? I currently have it set at 100, should I increase it?

#10 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2011 - 07:39 AM

Mine is set at 250Mb

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users