Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Suddenly Running Slowly

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 kasmoooski

kasmoooski

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 PM

Posted 17 March 2011 - 08:57 PM

Hi - this is my first time on here. I recently started having trouble with my laptop running very slowly. I ran avg and also Spybot and they came back with no viruses or spyware. I opened the task manager and noticed that it is running at 100% CPU, and assume that is the reason for the lag. I noticed teatimer associated with Spybot S&D was taking up a lot of memory, so I uninstalled S&D and reinstalled it without the teatimer. That seemed to speed it up slightly, but it is still running slow, particularly when trying to play videos or opening programs needing java. I also ran PC tools registry mechanic to scan the registry, clean up the disks and registry, and defrag the registry, but not getting any faster. Looking at the processes in the task manager, the two that are using up the most CPU seem to be connected to my Belkin Router (which I have been using without this problem for several months): Bkbackupscheduler.exe and Connect.exe go back and forth between 47% CPU and 50% CPU each. I don't know enough about computers to know what these processes are, if they are legit and necessary, or if they should be using so much CPU, and what the consequences of stopping (or removing) them would be.. Please help!!! Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,665 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2011 - 07:11 AM

Uninstall Spybot. Teatime causes more problems than it's worth. Today's best of breed anti-spyware apps are MalwareBytes & Super AntiSpyware. I suggest you try one or both of those.

Next, uninstall PC Tools and Registry Mechanic. Registry utilities / cleaners CAUSE problems, they do not cure them. There is no such thing as a good registry cleaner and such utilities should NEVER be used.

After doing that, let us know if you still have problems. If so, we'll try to isolate the offending process.

#3 kasmoooski

kasmoooski
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2011 - 09:20 AM

Okay, I've uninstalled S&D and the pc tools registry mechanic and I installed malwarebytes as suggested. I did a full scan using malwarebytes and there were no problems. However, the computer is still running at 100 cpu and sluggish. The same two processes mentioned above Bkbackupscheduler.exe and Connect.exe are using up about 50% cpu each. I believe both programs are related to my Belkin router. I just don't know if they are necessary processes or if there is something I can do to stop them. Whenever, I try to shutdown my computer (since this problem started- about a week ago)the computer tells me that there are still background programs running, and I have to choose "force close" to shut down the computer.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,665 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2011 - 01:50 PM

Download and run Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel (http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml). Uncheck any startup items you don't need or want (including the two you mentioned). Reboot. What happens?

#5 ButcherExtreme

ButcherExtreme

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2012 - 10:10 PM

I have had my Belkin router for roughly a year and having the same problem recently. Connect.exe is pegging out my CPU on two of my three laptops. C:\Program Files\Belkin\Network USB Hub Control Center\Connect.exe
I don't have a solution at the moment but am looking. When I stop Connect.exe the computers speed back up and it doesnt kill my internet connection but it does shut down the connection to the USB HardDrive I have plugged into the Belkin router for backup storage. I have had this Router for about a year and the problem just started last week. One strange coincidence that probably isn't related is that my neighbor had Verizon FIOS installed last week and they cut my FIOS line when digging to install hers. They fixed it immediately within 30 minutes but this is about the same time my Belkin router started pegging out my CPU on two different laptops. I can't explain why the third one is OK so far.

#6 Guest_Xircal_*

Guest_Xircal_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 17 March 2012 - 04:33 AM

Restart your Belkin router, instructions here: Performing a restart of your router

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users